Is it worth the extra $$

Pics
And in the USA, 'medicated feed' should mean the chick starter including amprolium, which is NOT an antibiotic, rather a thiamin blocker, which at the low levels fed inhibits the growth of coccidia, an intestinal parasite that can kill chicks if it's present in high enough levels in their environment.
Some properties have problems with this, and others don't. How do you know? Sick and dying chicks, never good.
And farm store staff may or may not know much of anything about chickens!
About table scraps; in moderation, great, leaving out high salt or sugary stuff, for example.
Here, with forty or so birds, at least, table scraps are about non-existent! We eat the stuff, and cooking extra for the birds is not going to happen.
Mary

This is my first time having chickens and they are 23 weeks old. Huge! Happy! Laying eggs... I use Purina and Dumor depending on what tractor supply has in stock. I also hang zucchini and carrots a couple a times a week. Good luck!

@Geckolady - there are as many opinions on chicken raising as there are, err...chicken tenders.

Read a lot, try things that make sense, and figure out what works for you. Chickens can thrive in a LOT of different scenarios.
Completely agree. It's important to take in what other people suggest and form your own opinions about it and then it's even more important to go do your own "field research."

Newbie chicken owner here who just started her second bag of feed. I bought DuMore 16% layer feed for the first bag because the man at TSC recommended it, saying he'd done a project for (4H? FFA? Don't remember) and DuMore came out on top for nutrition, egg production, blah, blah, so I thought I was feeding top of the line stuff.

My birds were hatched last spring, and I was wondering why there were no eggs. Leghorns are supposed to be good layers. After about a week on the brand my local feed store recommended, I'm beginning to get eggs. Was it the feed? The age of the pullets? I don't know. But I switched from the 16% to all flock because my birds were not laying yet and one of them is a cockerel. Now that they're starting to lay, they'll get calcium on the side.

As far as organic, one of the things I remember from Organic Chem class is that organic, strictly speaking, simply means something contains carbon, and that applies to a whole lot of things on this planet. I also know that labeling for organic products can be deceptive. The stuff from the feed store is Ace Hi brand, and they said the local chicken people prefer it. At the same time, I bought a bag of Kelly's 16% layer feed. I'll use it up by mixing it with the all flock because of the rooster. Gotta keep him singing.

So I've been reading everything in this thread because want to know what is best for my flock. Not everything they eat comes out of a bag. Is there a list of table scraps/people food somewhere detailing what they can and can't eat? Some feeds are medicated and some are not. The man at TSC told me to only feed medicated pellets. The bag I'm feeding now is not medicated--someone told me to avoid that.

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/chicken-treats/
This is good list of the different foods you can and can’t feed your chickens as well as if it’s a safe everyday treat or should only be fed in moderation.

The difference in the organic and non organic feed; is that in organic feed there is not genetically modified grain or seed and it is not sprayed with pesticides or herbicides (often used to help dry out the grain in other feeds). also the type of protein used. although some organic feed does use soy for protein, in most non organic feed that IS the protein source. Also the levels of different ingredients , i.e. a higher percentage of a cheaper ingredient to make up for the nutritional value of a more expensive ingredient. (you may have an end result of the same percentage i.e. 16% protein, but with lesser quality ingredients) You know the old adage "you are what you eat".... well, you are what your chickens eat too. Soy causes many health issues in humans (i.e. cancer, auto immune issues) So, it only makes sense that if your chickens are consuming soy in their diet so are you when you consume their eggs. Feeding your chickens organic or not REALLY is a personal choice.... I choose to find other ways to save $$$ and feed my girls organic because in reality it is better for my health

A lot of people have the false impression that NO pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, antibiotics etc. are used in/on/around organic foods. The truth is they can and do use chemicals, but only those that are on the approved list, some are natural, some are synthetic.

Anyone who gardens can tell you it would be pretty much impossible to grow vegetables on a large scale without the use of fertilizers, pesticides, etc.

We do so in our own home garden, but that's because we inspect our plants each day and hand pick any insects off of them. We use insecticidal soap on anything too small to remove by hand. Even with daily hands on care you can still lose all your zucchini to vine borers, all your onions to onion maggots, all your kale to cabbage worms, etc.

Common sense tells you that there's no way someone can possibly grow acres and acres of vegetables, and make any kind of profit, without the use of some sort of manufactured substances.

I seriously like your style. As a beef producer, mainly seedstock (breeding quality cows and bulls), we do market the occasional steer that doesn’t measure up as a breeding quality animal. Freemartin heifers also (sterile female twin). We can market them as ‘all natural’ without a lick of regulation. Slap the ‘organic’ label, and I’d likely be dead before we could jump through all the hoops.

Honestly, I'm best in small quantities. The reasons for why I am as I am are unimportant, but I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you also for the education on a corner of cow breeding I didn't know existed. No plans to add cattle to my property, but almost all my neighbors have herds - so if it comes up in conversation, I won't be completely lost.

Have a great morning!

More then 2x the price for organic feed is ridiculous! I pay only a little more for organic feed. Maybe 25% more as the cheap GMO-feed.

I choose organic bc it has no poison. And I do believe this is healthier for our planet, my chickens and me.

I never had serious health problems with my flock except with the first batch of chicks I bought in 2014.

I agree!!! Consider what you put into your own body. Sure McDonald’s is there, you could eat it everyday, but it doesn’t contain the nutrition needed to excel or even just feel good.
I’m not exactly comparing the “generic” brands to fast food, but it’s an example.

I buy organic because there are no pesticides used on the grains and feed. There also aren’t any cheap fillers. I grow fruit and veg from organic seed. I don’t use pesticides in my garden because I don’t want to breathe in or eat the pesticides myself.
I believe this for my girls too. I believe closer to mother earths naturally healthy offerings I best. It is more expensive, so I understand the issue.
It’s a personal choice. I don’t judge anyone else’s choice when it comes to feed.

A lot of people have the false impression that NO pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, antibiotics etc. are used in/on/around organic foods. The truth is they can and do use chemicals, but only those that are on the approved list, some are natural, some are synthetic.

Anyone who gardens can tell you it would be pretty much impossible to grow vegetables on a large scale without the use of fertilizers, pesticides, etc.

We do so in our own home garden, but that's because we inspect our plants each day and hand pick any insects off of them. We use insecticidal soap on anything too small to remove by hand. Even with daily hands on care you can still lose all your zucchini to vine borers, all your onions to onion maggots, all your kale to cabbage worms, etc.

Common sense tells you that there's no way someone can possibly grow acres and acres of vegetables, and make any kind of profit, without the use of some sort of manufactured substances.

I’m sorry, but I disagree. I haven’t used pesticides or fertilizers in my garden EVER and we have a bountiful harvest every year.
There are lots of natural alternatives that allow you to have a successful garden.
We have pests also, and lose some crop to them, but overall, a handful of veg that we throw to our chickens are well worth knowing that my food is safe to eat and no poisons had to be used.

I’ve attached one or Elliot Coleman’s “organic gardening” books. He’s written several and is viewed as an expert on the topic. He continues to run a successful business and farm in Maine all growing organic crops.
The other photo is mid summer bounty from my organic vegetable patch.
It is possible. Try it for yourself.

Attachments

• E0B7D71C-EB52-4C17-A612-1FD2B3A341C0.png
    E0B7D71C-EB52-4C17-A612-1FD2B3A341C0.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 085AB318-B4BC-46DC-889C-52B4416EBE61.jpeg
    085AB318-B4BC-46DC-889C-52B4416EBE61.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 4
Large scale organic farming is more difficult and expensive, which is why those products cost more. There are trade-offs that happen, some very good, and some not so much. Food costs are very low in the USA related to income, compared to so many other countries, and compared to 'the good old days' here. Why? Large scale farming! Those of us who can have a garden and grow at least some of our own food are lucky, in a society where 95% or more of the population are city dwellers!
In theory, organic is the way to go. In practice, it's a lot more complicated and difficult.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom