Is it worth the work to butcher your own chickens?

Quote:
Oh Boy Joe... Your wife is a strong woman isnt she??? LOL My Dh wont even look in my direction when Im processing!

In truth, I cannot even imagine her doing it, ever. My next wife will though.

I appreciate this thread...I bought dual purpose chickens, and all practicality went out the window. I'm just not ready to "do the deed", and haven't let my husband yet. Maybe if I had a mean rooster it would be easier. We had to cull our first chick last night (deformity) and even though it's awful, it is equally liberating. "Baby steps" is right! I hope to be able to eat our own birds someday...but it currently feels wrong...kind of like eating the dog!
sickbyc.gif
And boy do I guilt trip myself when I buy chicken from the store!!!
hu.gif

I have wings on the ones already done. And we don't use them.

Looking forward to trying the method that the lady told me about and yes, will let you know. And yes, you lose the back and the other 'stuff' but I am willing to for the last 6. These chickens will be put up by use this way. Legs and thighs together, breast meat together. More usable when it is just my DH and I eating.

And on the plus side you don't have to gut them.....sorry, but just me and DSS and that is a plus for us!

Last edited:
Quote:
The "worth" varies from person to person.

There should be no shame associated with not being able to do the deed yourself.

You can always raise the chickens yourself and then pay the processor. Again, no shame.

Quote:
could you post and let us know how well this technique worked?

Don't forget you could always make stock with the stuff left after taking off the breast meat, thighs, legs. What about the WINGS? My son would mutiny if we didn't save those.
lol.png

I know this works with quail, my guess is that it would work on a bigger bird.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh Boy Joe... Your wife is a strong woman isnt she??? LOL My Dh wont even look in my direction when Im processing!

What! No volunteers?

Quote:

What! No volunteers?

I pluck and gut, just can't kill
wink.png

Quote:

What! No volunteers?

in my next life Joe in my next life!!! PC has first dibs though! hahaha

Without question, yes, it's worth it. Sure, chicken is cheap in the store- you're not going to save money. But there's a whole lot of crappy cheap food out there. Think about quality food, that you know exactly where it came from, what is in it, how it was handled, etc. I'll never go back to store chicken. I love raising meaties, and even have a lot of fun on butchering day. It's a lot of work, but we make it a party. Not to mention at the end of the day having a few HUNDRED pounds of chickens in my freezer.

I've always used a processor. In my area they get between $1.65-$2. per bird depending on what you want. I've always said for that, I couldn't keep the water hot. These people have all the equipment and can do 25-50 birds in a couple hours. It would take us a good part of a day. Then I couldn't amagine the mess. I do mine in batches just for us so 25-50 is best. I have a friend that does his own (more of an ego thing) and uses up a 20 lb propane tank to keep his water warm. Then 25-50 birds leaves one heck of a pile of guts and feathers. I guess if I was selling for profit then doing them would add up more profit.

The of the biggest reasons I won't do them is that for the price they charge now, It's worth it to keep them around. Poultry Processors and Meat Cutters are becoming a dieing Occupation even in rural areas. I don't understand why. We still need them more than ever. I think if there were more Processors, more families would attempt raising their own chicken, without having to do the deed.
That's my $.02 worth. Maybe If I had to pay more I would think about doing my own ,but for now paying $2. to the Poultry Processor is my choice. Will

Back
Top Bottom