Is it yolk sack or intestine. And why is it happening.

guineafowlguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Most chicks hatch absolutely fine....... but every know and then one comes out dragging a red brown object behind them.

They always die. I always thought it was intestine but everywhere i read they say it is the yolk sack.

I'm sorry but i think i will have to post a photo to help clear this up.

Like i said most of my 100 chicks come out fine but every now and than i get this.

My humidity is used to be 65 but they would drown so i lowered it to 58-56.

That seemed to work for me before.

The yellow stuff i could see being yolk but not the red brown stuff.

What do you suggest.

I also heard from someone that if you hatch lots of chick one or two would naturally develop wrong.

I know it is only 1 or 2 out of 100 but i still dislike seeing it happen.

Does everyone that hatches see this? Or is it just me doing something wrong.

Poor peep
sad.png

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
So they can drag a yellow/brown/grey thing which is usually some yolk that didnt get absorbed. This is fine because with time, it was dry up and fall off. However, Sometimes their intestines form outside their body or fall out during the hatching process. These chicks will die. The pic you posted looks like intestines and yolk.

Is there a way to prevent the intestines from escaping the abdominal cavity? Say, a bandaid or bandage of some kind over the belly button that just kind of held everything together until it could properly heal? You'd probably have to trim the fluff to remove the bandage afterwards, but I imagine it could be done, albeit with a bit of a bald spot left behind.

Last edited:
Sometimes chicks hatch with yolks that they somehow managed to break outside of their bodies, but they will not have any innard problems. These chicks MUST be immobilized immediately. No joke, immediately.

Put them into a cup with a narrow enough bottom that they cannot get their legs under them, and wrap them in guaze. If you let them do anything with their legs, like kick and stand, they will catch the hanging broken yolk, and the pressure will pull things out. Once a chick has done this to itself, it will die a very very slow death unless mercy is given.

I just had this happen - my chicks didn't hatch and it was day 24. From the entire batch (10 had died before day 10), only 3 were still alive. They each had yolk sacks/intestines still hanging out. I have no idea why this entire batch didn't work out (my husband got the eggs for me to hatch). I hatched 2 previous batches with no problems at all. It was a sad day
hit.gif

With the angle it's hard to tell if it's umbilicus or intestine...but this chick doesn't look like it will make it. It's very small and underdeveloped, and the black ooze is not normal. It looks like spoiled blood.

I had a turkey poult hatch last night that had a little unabsorbed yolk, which isn't common but isn't usually a problem. Unfortunately, he hatched overnight and kicked the sac and pulled out some intestine, then panicked when I handled him this morning and ejected probably half of his intestine through the unsealed navel. I put him down as even if I was able to work the intestine back in without twisting it, the navel would have required suturing and peritonitis would have been a real threat. Sometimes things don't work out right.

If the wire stapled on the bottom is the temp sensor, try attaching it in such a manner that it is at the top of the egg height rather than on the bottom of the tray. Reading the temps at the bottom of the egg can cause you to run temperatures that are not ideal for incubation.

Back
Top Bottom