Is James a Starling?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, May 11, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    A co worker (James) found this little guy out in the hot parking lot today. My thermometer in my car was reading 101 on the black top. James was trying to find shade under a car. The only possible nesting site was some sticks poking out the soffits of the shop, over 30 feet up. I dont think even the forklift could have gotten me up there. No trees nearby to keep James in the shade and there was no way I was gonna leave him there to roast. I kept looking out the door to see if a mama bird ever came back but never saw one. So James came home with me. He's eating meal worms and a mixture of dry dog food and water. He looks close to fledging, maybe a week or 2. So do you think he is a Starling? And no, I dont care how many of you hate them, Im not gonna kill him... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I think you may be correct. Luckily your coworker knew how you couldnt refuse . I think your doing the right thing.
    [​IMG]

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'm thinking maybe a Mockingbird? I don't know, though, could be a Starling. I don't hate them, and would have brought him home as well. I have raised several wild birds to almost grown then lost them. I never figured out why, they would do fine until just flying pretty well then all of a sudden they would get the squirts and die. You may be able to find out what I did wrong and correct it before it's too late. Good luck raising him (or her!) What a cutie pie!

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    looks like a fledgling starling to me.

i just took a starling fledling to a local rehabber today. she tried to talk me into keeping it when she heard I use to be a rehabber but I said no.

5. ILoveChickies

ILoveChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    If he is, that would be great, because if you try hard enough; you can teach Starlings to talk!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    First thought was a mockingbird, but with that mouth I'm starting to think swallow/martin family.

Good job on the rescue!

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Im pretty sure James is a starling. I was looking out the door today while at work and several times saw 2 adult starlings flying near the corner of the building where James was found. I never saw them go into what I think may have been a nest though. Hes a smart little guy. I didnt take him long to realize I brought yummy things to eat. He has a voracious appetite. Ive been feeding him all he wants about every 2 hours. When he keeps his big mouth shut, hes finished. My co workers, including James, the guy who rescued James, watched me feeding him today, they couldnt believe it. Thankfully I work somewhere that allows my collection of lost/wayward/ orphaned feather and fur kids to come with me. Of course, it would be hard to tell me no since I work for hubby! I guess his boss could tell me no but thankfully he doesnt care either!

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Good for you! I'm a sucker too. I had to rescue a mangy squirrel from the jaws of our boxer bullmastiff. She went to a rehabber too!

9. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:he is old enough to start pecking at things. get a couple of live crickets from pet store and let them loose in his cage one or two ate a time. the fast movements will trigger his hunting instinct and he needs to learn how to catch insects before he can be released or he'll starve to death.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That there is a starling baby! I've raised several and have had good luck releasing them. I feed soaked hard dog food. As they get older, you can feed the dog food mixed with apple sauce. When I release, I usually leave them in a cage to look outside for a couple of days and then I begin to leave the door open for them to explore. For the first couple of days they will probably return at night but after that they usually just return for an occasional bite or two. The few I've released usually learned how to eat from the other birds around. They are smart little buggers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by