Is keeping a bunny in a cage cruel?

Bunnyforever

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2023
My bunny is confined to a cage when I’m at work. But when I get home I put her in her indoor playpen and sometimes my lap. When the weather stops raining and it get warmer, I plan to put her outside in a covered playpen so she can get fresh air.

I am worried if what I am doing is okay for the bunny because this strict rabbit rescue organization said no pet rabbit should be kept outdoors and that you should keep them indoors in a rabbit proofed room. They also said cages are cruel to bunnies.

Any thoughts?

My bunny is confined to a cage when I’m at work. But when I get home I put her in her indoor playpen and sometimes my lap. When the weather stops raining and it get warmer, I plan to put her outside in a covered playpen so she can get fresh air.

I am worried if what I am doing is okay for the bunny because this strict rabbit rescue organization said no pet rabbit should be kept outdoors and that you should keep them indoors in a rabbit proofed room. They also said cages are cruel to bunnies.

Any thoughts?
Hi there! How big is the cage?

Has long as the cage is big enough it is not cruel. How big is the one you are using? I've also had plenty of pet rabbits that lived or spent time outside.

If it's big enough to fit a proper sized litter box, some hides, toys, and still leaves enough space to exercise then it' can be fine as a home base.
Unfortunately most cages are not big enough for that. Play pens do provide the space for that, so they are a much better option in my opinion, and can be used in place of a cage so long as the bunny can't jump out. Pens are also a much cheaper option.

It's important for rabbits to get enough exercise, for both their mental and physical health. Whether the rabbit is living in a large cage or a playpen, they should be getting time outside of it to explore and do bunny things.
Many people keep their rabbits in a pen as a "home base" while they're not home, and let them free roam while they are.

As for letting them outside, just be sure to supervise so no predators can get to her. A loose dog or cat around could easily send her into shock if that's something she's not used to.

It depends on how big the cage is. Why would they think rabbits dont belong outside thats stupid. Rabbits are happiest outside

I have two of the cages below totaling in 50” length for my bunny.

6568CC82-1452-4A46-BBCA-CB54E6D61F97.png

Cages if big enough are fine for a rabbit. Being outside is also fine as long as the rabbit is protected. Frankly I would take anything else they told you with a gain of salt.

Yeah, that’s definitely way big enough; and not cruel at all! Also, I have al seven of my rabbits outdoors, and they are the happiest bunny on earth. As long as they are protected, it’s not cruel one bit. Rabbits live outside in the wild!

Back
Top Bottom