Is it cruel to have a pet bunny live outdoors in a hutch?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I’m conflicted with the information from rabbit rescues versus rabbit breeders. The rabbit rescues are saying that rabbits should only be kept indoors. But the rabbit breeders say it is okay to have a rabbit live outdoors in a hutch that is well protected. Is it really that cruel to have a bunny live outdoors in a well protected hutch that is waterproof and predator proof?

I don't think it is cruel at all, as long as they have shelter, and are well looked after.
My two rabbits live indoors, just so they don't get Calicivirus, which is common in this area.
But when I take them out doors for a bit, when no mosquitoes are around (they spread it) they absolutely love it! And don't want to come inside again.

Just do a bit of research about any diseases or parasites in your area, but apart from that, I say go for it!

I wouldn't say it's cruel to have them live outdoors so long as they have plenty of space, it's predator proof, they can't overheat in the summer, and don't get lonely.

For breeders, housing lots of rabbits indoors is far from ideal. I personally think a lot of breeders could improve their rabbit care, but there are also many breeders who do give their rabbits good lives.
But if you have a pet rabbit, it's much easier to let it live indoors rather than build an outdoor enclosure. It's expensive to build something that could provide your rabbit with enough space when they could instead have much more while free roaming indoors. Especially when you also have to predator proof and keep a good temperature inside.
And unless you adopt a bonded pair, a rabbit could get quite lonely. Besides, having a pet rabbit is much more fun when it can bond with you more.

None of the prefab hutches can provide any of these things unfortunately. They also tend to not last very long.
Indoor rabbits are also easier to care for and keep and eye on.
Overall, rabbits tends to be a lot happier when they have room to exercise and explore where they're safe from predators and the weather.

@Silkie Princess moved her rabbits from outdoors to indoors and she's mentioned how much happier they are and how they're more enjoyable pets.

I’m conflicted with the information from rabbit rescues versus rabbit breeders. The rabbit rescues are saying that rabbits should only be kept indoors. But the rabbit breeders say it is okay to have a rabbit live outdoors in a hutch that is well protected. Is it really that cruel to have a bunny live outdoors in a well protected hutch that is waterproof and predator proof?
This is my view, and people will disagree:

A hutch does not give a rabbit the right amount of space. They need to be able to exercise and hop and stretch. Caged rabbits (especially unfixed ones), can become territorial due to boredom and being cooped up. Being outdoors leaves them open to temperature extremes, and predators (even of they're safe from harm, animals can still terrify them through the bars).
All this said, my current bunny is outside, in a hutch right now. I cage her at night for her own safety, and give her a large pen for all daylight hours, full of tunnels, dig areas, and chews. She is only outside because I am not allowed to have her indoors, and the only reason I have her is because I rescued her from much worse, and no one wants to adopt her from me.

So that's my situation, and I'm doing the best I can for her.
If you CAN bring your bunny in, you're likely to develop a much closer bond. Having a pen set up indoors is great housing.
It will be safer, in general, and they're likely to be much happier. Bunnies tend to dislike being alone, if they don't have a companion, in my opinion they should not be outdoors.

If you have to keep your bunny outdoors, I recommend finding lots of toys and chews for her as boredom breakers, and if you can, a predator proof run for the daytime.

I am of the thought that all creatures like to at least visit the outdoors. I think animals like to listen to the other animals and enjoy the sun and breeze. I don't think its bad to keep a rabbit outside. If you live in a very hot climate be careful though as rabbits have trouble with heat. I do think that the pet culture can often anthropomorphize animals and attribute likes or dislikes that the animal may not have.

My rabbits live outdoors in the spring and fall (not too hot / not too cold) in hutches with Omlet tunnels and attached runs. They 100% enjoy their time outside more than in. If it’s a tiny hutch, then maybe look at expanding. And if it’s wire bottom, give them some hock saver mats.

Back
Top Bottom