Is Layer Feed Necessary?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JessaLynn, Mar 24, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Told by a friend that he only gives his hens grower and never layers feed because it has to much protien in it for them. So my question is..layer's feed necessary or not? What do you feed your hens and why?

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    No.. But, It is more necessary if they do not free range, though.. I had good success just feeding 1/2 x 1/2 ground corn and oats..

3. ceadar post

ceadar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I don't think it would matter much. I give mine layer and never had problems so I guess I like the extra boost of protein.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's a complete feed, with years of research behind it by some top feed manufacturers. Why take a chance?

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I agree.

I my girls have access to the two cups of layer feed with oyster shell in it until they run out. Then in the afternoon I let them free-range for the remainder of the day until they go in at dusk. We've never experimented with too many different types of feed but we use what has worked for us. Our girls have thrived on this stuff and in the last two years of my raising my flock, only one time have I lost a single bird, this having nothing to do with food. No changing our lifestyle so long as it has worked for us. [​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    One must also remember the importance of the calcium that's in layer feed for producing hard shells.

~ bigzio

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I feed my chickens game bird feed, I think its 15% protein. They are let out into the yard a few hours nearly every day. I give them veggie treats as well. They dont touch the oyster shell I have out for them and my shells are so hard sometimes I have to try twice to crack them. I have a rooster and I dont want to give him the extra calcium.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I have always fed mine layers feed so really didn't give it a second thought till now.I also have a side pail of oyster shell they help them selves to. Second thought was on oyster shell:
    Will my hens know how much to consume or should I only give them a little bit? I guess oyster shell isn't a need because they eat the layers feed but I still have it out there.Could it harm them?

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] I agree

[​IMG]

Me Too [​IMG]

10. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Layer has too much protein compared to grower??? Obviously I don't know what the OP's friend is feeding, but the grower I feed is 19% and the layer is 16%. Isn't it generally the same for all brands of feed -- more protein for the young birds, more calcium for the layers? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by