Is layer feed needed?

hannuh_montana

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
My Rouen ducks are now 5 1/2 months old and have been on Purina Duck pellets for months now. I was planning to continue them on the Purina but giving them access to oyster shell, but someone mentioned to me that they have to be on layer feed during laying months. I have 2 females and 1 male, and I had also read that the males shouldn't eat layer feed (or oyster shells) in excess, so do I really have to provide 2 different feeds; Purina for my drake and layer feed for my girls? Or is sticking to the Purina and offering oyster shell enough?

Also on the topic of oyster shell, I've heard that most ducks prefer the crushed pieces, and not the pieces that have been reshaped into little balls. If that's the case, why is it so difficult to find the crushed pieces, and where can I find it?

My Rouen ducks are now 5 1/2 months old and have been on Purina Duck pellets for months now. I was planning to continue them on the Purina but giving them access to oyster shell, but someone mentioned to me that they have to be on layer feed during laying months. I have 2 females and 1 male, and I had also read that the males shouldn't eat layer feed (or oyster shells) in excess, so do I really have to provide 2 different feeds; Purina for my drake and layer feed for my girls? Or is sticking to the Purina and offering oyster shell enough?

Also on the topic of oyster shell, I've heard that most ducks prefer the crushed pieces, and not the pieces that have been reshaped into little balls. If that's the case, why is it so difficult to find the crushed pieces, and where can I find it?
You can keep your ducks on the same feed with oyster shell supplements. There is no need to switch to layer if you provide calcium supplements. I usually find crushed oyster shell at feed stores, maybe your local feed stores just don't have it? You can also bake egg shells, crush them, and feed them back to your ducks for calcium. Or order crushed oyster shell on Amazon if you can't find it at local stores.

Right now in many places Chick grit and oyster shell are very very hard to find. Merchandisers cannot get it into the stores nor keep it in the stores when they get it in the stores. It flies off the shelves. As to layer feed. A form of calcium is needed for strong egg shells. Yes. You need to provide either oyster shell, or crushed returned egg shells, or layer feed for ducks and chickens with mixed in calcium. As to your roosters they do not need this in their feed so your feeding option is to feed all of them an all flock ration or flock raiser ration and place the calcium in the form of oyster shell on the side available for the hens/.females and or crushed-returned egg shells. The roosters/drakes will know not to take the calcium in whichever form you place it in. I hope this helps and it is usually more economical this way too with a broader flock makeup.

This is not cheap, but I do have good luck with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UIM7N0A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my girls won’t eat the larger oyster shell rocks either.

Well this does look to be the shape I was hoping for. I wish they made it in bigger bags. So this is a 4 pound bag and I have 2 females. Any idea about how quickly they go through this stuff? These are my first so I'm clueless and want to make sure I order enough to last a while. :)

For just 2 females, you won’t go through too much. I have 10 girls so I go through a bit, about 12-16 lbs per month. I put about half a cup each in 2 separate bowls at night, then 1 bowl for daytime.

Well this does look to be the shape I was hoping for. I wish they made it in bigger bags. So this is a 4 pound bag and I have 2 females. Any idea about how quickly they go through this stuff? These are my first so I'm clueless and want to make sure I order enough to last a while. :)
It should last you about a month for two females maybe not quite but close. Some eat more some take less. You can feed their used shells back to them also remember if you have access to them.

On Chewy.com you can get a 10lb bag of oyster shells that are shaved and not like little rocks. My ducks love it! I also feed a flock maintenance feed with the addition of free choice oyster shells and feeding their shells back to them. I have never had an issue with soft shells even with new layers. My husband and I were just joking the other day because I tried to carry inside too many duck eggs at once and dropped a couple. The eggs didn't even crack the shells are so thick and hard on my hen's eggs. My husband asked if they were laying eggs or rocks😂https://www.chewy.com/small-pet-select-oyster-shell-calcium/dp/251117

Back
Top Bottom