Is letting bread rise for the second time really that essential?

mylittlechickpea

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
So I'm supposed to be going to friends for dinner tonight, and although she said I didn't have to bring anything I always think it's nice to do so. Well, I stayed out too late this afternoon with a friend, and I don't have quite enough time to bake the bread I was planning on. I don't mind sticking it in the oven at her house, but I don't have enough time to let it rise up for the second time as the recipe calls..

So is it really really really that important to let it? I know my bread will be a little heavier if I just stick it in after only one rise, but is that okay? Will it effect anything else? I am making the Kuchen Bread (German Sweet Bread) from the recipes tab on the byc homepage
droolin.gif

Don't know about sweet bread, but I've made many a loaf of wheat or white without doing the second rise. It's not heavier, you get a more even cell structure with 2 rises.

Imp- go for it, and have a backup name for it like- "unleavened german sweet bread"
lol.png

well not really sure but my granny said you have to let it rise twice.....and I even paid attention to that lesson.
celebrate.gif

I do like Imps idea
wink.png

Oh, NO!!

I just read a thing that said my yeast will not activate if it was not bubbly in the beginning.. I put the yeast in warm water, warmer than luke warm but not scalding or anything... But it wasn't bubbly before I added it to my mixture... Is my bread not going to rise? I just checked it and it looks like it's growing a little bit..

You may have killed some of the yeast....just place the bread near a warm surface or area to encourage the rise. You may wind up with some heavy bread after all if you killed the sponge.

if its risen a bit, the yeast are active but in my opinion, you do want a second rise. Try to speed it up by putting it on the top rack of a cold oven with the light turned on and a pan of steamy water on the bottom rack of the oven. It MIGHT rise enough in half the time...then again it might not..not familliar with the recipe. When in doubt about what ive planned to bring to a gathering, I pick up something else. Maybe some fancy pants coffee for after dinner and some of the Christmas flavor creamers in the dairy case right now? or if there is a bakery or confectioners in your area.. maybe something from their case?

The expiration date of my yeast was in August..
hmm.png
The darn thing didn't rise one bit, I let it sit for 2 whole hours before I touched it again.. So it was a bit heavy, but it was also very delicious. So I guess I'll have to go get more yeast and have another go at it sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom