Is Lily a girl?

memechick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2012
Concord, NH
I just purchased two Cochins - both from the same hatch. They are 9 weeks old but Lily seems to have a slightly larger comb. The breeder showed me a third from the same hatch that was quite obvious a roo .... his comb was much bigger and very red and he was the same size body wise as these two. Still I feel a slight doubt deep inside and need a little encouragement that she is a pullet. I got roo's instead of pullets twice before and it was heartbreaking and difficult re-homing them. Can anyone tell if Lily is a pullet or is it too soon to tell?

This one pictured below is her sister Tulip ...

Im going to say boy. My bantam cochin looked that way. He always had more comb than his sister though. And more wattle growth too.

Buster at 3 weeks

6 weeks give or take

Thanks everyone for the responses .......... OMG ....... I cannot believe I am going through this again. I am getting these "pullets" from people who raise lots of chicks and they sell at chicken swaps regularly ... how can I be told on Saturday that these are pullets then post a picture on Sunday and everyone respond as cockerals? I know I'm a newbie but should I not expect some honesty from these people who are selling them? Also, if they have been selling chickens for some time now wouldn't they know which is truly a pullet and which is not? I specifically told these people that I cannot keep a roo and I was reassured they were pullets. This is my third time now trying to re-home a boy. It's heartbreaking.

Thanks everyone for the responses .......... OMG ....... I cannot believe I am going through this again.   I am getting these "pullets" from people who raise lots of chicks and they sell at chicken swaps regularly ... how can I be told on Saturday that these are pullets then post a picture on Sunday and everyone respond as cockerals?  I know I'm a newbie but should I not expect some honesty from these people who are selling them?    Also, if they have been selling chickens for some time now wouldn't they know which is truly a pullet and which is not?  I specifically told these people that I cannot keep a roo and I was reassured they were pullets.   This is my third time now trying to re-home a boy.  It's heartbreaking.   
This happens to me too... I SERIOUSLY think they see us coming!

Back
Top Bottom