alexa009

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Apr 6, 2017
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone,
I was wondering when breeding chickens is it ok to do line breeding? I don't want to cause any bad effect to the offspring of the parents. Which would be father breeding with daughter. Can this result to deformed chicks? Or be detrimental to them in any way? I don't anything about breeding or genes so thought I'd ask. Any answers appreciated!

I don’t know much about line breeding but I’m pretty sure it’s not that simple it depends on where you get your chickens you breed what there resesve genes are like I would try it out experiment around find the right breed and gene for you!

Line breeding should not harm your chickens unless you do it for a very long time. Basically, it's a mild form of inbreeding. Keep track of how many eggs you're hatching from what batch of hens, and if you get a significant drop in fertility, get a new rooster.

The goal of linebreeding is to get an animal with predictable genetics. Sometimes, that results in harmful recessives showing through.

What's your goal? Why do you want to linebreed? Or do you just not want to get rid of a favorite rooster?

my vote would be "depends"

It can be very useful since linebreeding will make recessive genes pop up. You might not know what recessive genetics are hiding in your flock.

If the recessive genes are bad... you know those birds need to be culled... at at least not bred together.

If the recessive genes are good... well yahoo.

But knowledge is power! So... usually a good idea if you are a serious breeder. If however you have trouble eating undesirable genetics.... it is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom