Will it be okay?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
So I'm potentially getting a calico cochin bantam roo for my assorted cochin girls-
But two of my cochin girls are also calico and from the same parents.
I believe they have the same mom and dad unless this person has separate breedings pens which i highly doubt.
So will it be okay for them to breed?
I don't plan on keeping offspring from them when the time comes, but if I do it'll probably be the pullet offspring. Which may lead to that pullet offspring breeding back to her father.
Would that be worse?
What if I took one of the cockerel offspring and replaced his father with him, would that be worse or better?
Just trying to figure this all out.
I've been looking for a calico roo from a different person with no luck, so I went back to where I got the two hens. (Which I got as chicks)
-
I did hear it gets more risky as it goes- How so? When should they not breed? ( I'm aware genetic deformities are more likely when siblings breed. I know not to breed any with those deformities, never planned to either way.)

So I'm potentially getting a calico cochin bantam roo for my assorted cochin girls-
But two of my cochin girls are also calico and from the same parents.
I believe they have the same mom and dad unless this person has separate breedings pens which i highly doubt.
So will it be okay for them to breed?
I don't plan on keeping offspring from them when the time comes, but if I do it'll probably be the pullet offspring. Which may lead to that pullet offspring breeding back to her father.
Would that be worse?
What if I took one of the cockerel offspring and replaced his father with him, would that be worse or better?
Just trying to figure this all out.
I've been looking for a calico roo from a different person with no luck, so I went back to where I got the two hens. (Which I got as chicks)
-
I did hear it gets more risky as it goes- How so? When should they not breed? ( I'm aware genetic deformities are more likely when siblings breed. I know not to breed any with those deformities, never planned to either way.)
This may help you.
https://www.chickenfans.com/linebreeding-inbreeding-outcrossing/

Back
Top Bottom