Tell me everything you know. 👍🏼

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
So I have, well, bantam cochins. 👀
2 calico pullets.
4 whites;3 hens, 1 pullet. (1 hen is the fluffiest frizzle)
1 red frizzle hen.
and another red frizzle that I can't quite tell is a pullet or cockerel yet. (I actually hope pullet so I don't have to worry about separating him from my frizzle girls. )
-
I'm planning on getting a white roo sometime this week- Maybe a calico roo this week too for the calico pullets.
(Yes, they will all mix in one pen- I will make arrangements if any bullying among roosters happen, hopefully not. I'm aware of the possibilities of crossed colors happen as well. )
I was mainly wondering if that red frizzle does end up being a male- If I were to put him with my smooth white hens, would I get these red-sexlink cochin things? 🤔
It was sudden thought while I was staring at my lovely birds and thought about how a red roo over a white hen makes that mix. (Like a rir over a riw, I think? )
-
Also curious about what he'd make with my calicos? I would guess red with black and white leakage? Like a wannabe calico from walmart. But y'all tell me.-
Now with the other potential roo's that may be coming, anything interesting I could do with them with any of my existing hens? They're smooth, no frizzles.
The possible red frizzle roo- (approximately 2 months, maybe a little older. ):
IMG_20231210_175108583.jpg
IMG_20231210_173841976.jpg

Calico pullets (10ish weeks old ):
IMG_20231210_173910516.jpg
IMG_20231210_175406382.jpg

Red frizzle hen- (She isn't laying yet- 9/10 months)
IMG_20231210_175128859.jpg
IMG_20231210_174706375.jpg
IMG_20231210_174623429.jpg
Smooth white pullet ( 12ish weeks old):
IMG_20231210_174951197.jpg
IMG_20231210_174802967.jpg
One of the smooth white hens (Clearly laying, 9 months old):
IMG_20231210_174510241.jpg
IMG_20231210_174500032.jpg
Frizzle white hen ( not laying, 9 months old):
IMG_20231210_174000076.jpg

Other smooth white hen (Currently being a mama to 6 chicks. She did start laying. 9 months old):
IMG_20231210_174301170.jpg

So I have, well, bantam cochins. 👀
2 calico pullets.
4 whites;3 hens, 1 pullet. (1 hen is the fluffiest frizzle)
1 red frizzle hen.
and another red frizzle that I can't quite tell is a pullet or cockerel yet. (I actually hope pullet so I don't have to worry about separating him from my frizzle girls. )
-
I'm planning on getting a white roo sometime this week- Maybe a calico roo this week too for the calico pullets.
(Yes, they will all mix in one pen- I will make arrangements if any bullying among roosters happen, hopefully not. I'm aware of the possibilities of crossed colors happen as well. )
I was mainly wondering if that red frizzle does end up being a male- If I were to put him with my smooth white hens, would I get these red-sexlink cochin things? 🤔
It was sudden thought while I was staring at my lovely birds and thought about how a red roo over a white hen makes that mix. (Like a rir over a riw, I think? )
-

Red x White most likely would not make sexlinks. This only works with Rhode Island Reds and Whites when the Whites are silver-based, as in they have a silver gene. Crossing a Rhode Island Red (which are gold-based or else they would be whitish as well!) male to silver-based Rhode Island White females is what makes sexlinks. The females can only pass their silver gene to their sons, so the male offspring hatch silvery. The female offspring inherit gold from their father and so they hatch gold. Thus, making them sexable at hatch.

With White Cochins, they could be carrying silver, or they could be carrying gold. I don't honestly know which is more likely in Cochins. On top of that, they could be carrying other genes that would make whether they are silver or gold based impossible to tell at hatch, such as extended black. Because White Cochins are recessive white, all other colors are blotted out, hidden beneath the white plumage caused by the gene. Essentially, they could be carrying just about anything and you'd only vaguely know what they had by test crossing them to a non-White to find out.

Also curious about what he'd make with my calicos? I would guess red with black and white leakage? Like a wannabe calico from walmart. But y'all tell me.-

Calico Cochins, from my understanding, are Mille Fleur bred to have excessive white. Mille Fleur is gold columbian plus mottling, a recessive gene. That being the case, crossing Red to Calico would simply get you more Reds, possibly with some black in the tail and hackle feathering, and carrying a mottling gene without expressing it because that gene is recessive. Sometimes birds that are carrying mottling get a little bit of mottling in their juvenile feathering, but that goes away when they shed out their juvenile feathers and replace them with adult feathers.

If you took those resulting Red offspring and crossed them back to a Calico, you would get some more Calicos or Mille Fleurs, however.

Now with the other potential roo's that may be coming, anything interesting I could do with them with any of my existing hens? They're smooth, no frizzles.
The possible red frizzle roo- (approximately 2 months, maybe a little older. ):
View attachment 3702616View attachment 3702617

Hmm, a puzzling bird for 2-ish months of age. 🤔 I'd expect more comb for a cockerel, but less wattle for a pullet at this age. Give it more time to be sure, I think.

Smooth white pullet ( 12ish weeks old):
View attachment 3702623View attachment 3702624One of the smooth white hens (Clearly laying, 9 months old):
View attachment 3702625View attachment 3702626Frizzle white hen ( not laying, 9 months old):
View attachment 3702627
Other smooth white hen (Currently being a mama to 6 chicks. She did start laying. 9 months old):
View attachment 3702628

Are your Whites a little bit dirty, or do they actually have some reddish spots here and there like these pictures make it appear?

Red x White most likely would not make sexlinks. This only works with Rhode Island Reds and Whites when the Whites are silver-based, as in they have a silver gene. Crossing a Rhode Island Red (which are gold-based or else they would be whitish as well!) male to silver-based Rhode Island White females is what makes sexlinks. The females can only pass their silver gene to their sons, so the male offspring hatch silvery. The female offspring inherit gold from their father and so they hatch gold. Thus, making them sexable at hatch.

With White Cochins, they could be carrying silver, or they could be carrying gold. I don't honestly know which is more likely in Cochins. On top of that, they could be carrying other genes that would make whether they are silver or gold based impossible to tell at hatch, such as extended black. Because White Cochins are recessive white, all other colors are blotted out, hidden beneath the white plumage caused by the gene. Essentially, they could be carrying just about anything and you'd only vaguely know what they had by test crossing them to a non-White to find out.

Calico Cochins, from my understanding, are Mille Fleur bred to have excessive white. Mille Fleur is gold columbian plus mottling, a recessive gene. That being the case, crossing Red to Calico would simply get you more Reds, possibly with some black in the tail and hackle feathering, and carrying a mottling gene without expressing it because that gene is recessive. Sometimes birds that are carrying mottling get a little bit of mottling in their juvenile feathering, but that goes away when they shed out their juvenile feathers and replace them with adult feathers.

If you took those resulting Red offspring and crossed them back to a Calico, you would get some more Calicos or Mille Fleurs, however.

Hmm, a puzzling bird for 2-ish months of age. 🤔 I'd expect more comb for a cockerel, but less wattle for a pullet at this age. Give it more time to be sure, I think.

Are your Whites a little bit dirty, or do they actually have some reddish spots here and there like these pictures make it appear?
That little bird isn't going anywhere so time will tell-
They are all white- I've had them for 6 months they've always appeared all white.
May just be dirty as there's been lots of rain and mud. Maybe some poo stains too though 😂, sometimes they perch under another bird perching above them at night.

I wondered if that was the case, just wanted to be sure on the off chance there was a different gene at play in the Whites than I thought! White birds definitely show any kind of dirt or poo a lot worse than any other color, of course! I have a white mixed breed hen that was stained brown down her side for a long time because she did exactly that, perched underneath someone instead of up on the actual roost. :rolleyes: Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom