PaperbackBird

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Long time lurker, first time signing up and posting!

tl;dr
What pairings will result in the best coloured chicks?

I have quite a pretty bunch of polish at the moment but new to colour genetics and matter how much Google trawling I do, I just can't seem to get to grips with the base elements I feel I should be understanding.

I'll list below my options.
All bantam unless stated otherwise.

Roosters
-Buff laced/chamois (smooth)
-White crested black (smooth)
-White crested black large fowl (smooth)
-White crested Cuckoo (frizzle)
-White
-Blue splash (smooth)
-"*Brown Red" (smooth) *so I've been told by a US friend but the colour is not recognised in the UK as far as I can find? He's mostly black with dark gold/red hackle and saddle feathers, somewhat gold laced type crest feathers.)

And Hens
-Buff laced/chamois (x1 frizzle x2 smooth)
-Gold laced (x2 smooth)
-White crested Cuckoo (x2 frizzle x2 smooth)
-White crested black (x1 frizzle x1 smooth)
-White (x2 smooth)
-Black (x1 frizzle x1 smooth)
-Blue (x3 smooth)
-Splash (x3 smooth)
-Blue mottled large fowl (x1 smooth)
-Silver laced large fowl (x1 smooth)
-black crested white (x1 smooth)

I don't expect anyone to go through each and every pairing possible, but would anyone have any ideas of the best birds to add for interesting or best hatching results?

I understand the obvious Buff laced roo to Buff laced hens for example, but when it comes to my blues and gold laced for example I'm not sure where they would be best placed.

I'm extremely interested in autosexing chicks and the general idea of male chicks colour a, female chicks colour b, but again, unsure if any of my pairing are suitable to get these results.

Any and all help is so much appreciated as not many people in my area keep polish and I'm so eager to learn more about the breed that sparked my love for poultry keeping.

Long time lurker, first time signing up and posting!

tl;dr
What pairings will result in the best coloured chicks?

I have quite a pretty bunch of polish at the moment but new to colour genetics and matter how much Google trawling I do, I just can't seem to get to grips with the base elements I feel I should be understanding.

I'll list below my options.
All bantam unless stated otherwise.

Roosters
-Buff laced/chamois (smooth)
-White crested black (smooth)
-White crested black large fowl (smooth)
-White
-Blue splash (smooth)
-"*Brown Red" (smooth) *so I've been told by a US friend but the colour is not recognised in the UK as far as I can find? He's mostly black with dark gold/red hackle and saddle feathers, somewhat gold laced type crest feathers.)

And Hens
-Gold laced (x2 smooth)
-White (x2 smooth)
-Black (x1 frizzle x1 smooth)
-Blue (x3 smooth)
-Splash (x3 smooth)
-Blue mottled large fowl (x1 smooth)
-Silver laced large fowl (x1 smooth)
-black crested white (x1 smooth)

I don't expect anyone to go through each and every pairing possible, but would anyone have any ideas of the best birds to add for interesting or best hatching results?

I understand the obvious Buff laced roo to Buff laced hens for example, but when it comes to my blues and gold laced for example I'm not sure where they would be best placed.

I'm extremely interested in autosexing chicks and the general idea of male chicks colour a, female chicks colour b, but again, unsure if any of my pairing are suitable to get these results.

Any and all help is so much appreciated as not many people in my area keep polish and I'm so eager to learn more about the breed that sparked my love for poultry keeping.
What do you mean by “best coloured chicks”? This will have a different meaning depending on who you ask. Do you want chicks that are different colors than the parents, only chicks that are standards colors, or?

What do you mean by “best coloured chicks”? This will have a different meaning depending on who you ask. Do you want chicks that are different colors than the parents, only chicks that are standards colors, or?
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

I'm hoping for some advice regarding my birds that don't have a colour equivalent of the opposite sex. So for example, my gold laced hens have no gold laced rooster for full gold laced chicks.. so I'm not sure where to place them so that I still have interesting non-standard colour chicks for pet homes. I don't want to pair them with a rooster that might end up throwing all black chicks without the proper parentage to be breeding self blacks. I hope that makes sense lol

My birds that have colour pairings (hen & roo of same colour) are staying together for now to produce standard colour chicks.

Also very interesting in knowing if any of my birds are suitable to hatch auto sexing chicks. I vaguely understand that gold and silver can be used to achieve this but I can't quite grasp exactly how.

Roosters
-Buff laced/chamois
-White crested black
-White
-Blue splash
-"*Brown Red

And Hens
-Gold laced
-White
-Black (x1 frizzle x1 smooth)/Blue/Splash
-Blue mottled large fowl
-Silver laced large fowl
-black crested white

Let’s start with the brown red. He could be pure red/gold birchen or he could be a bit mixed since he’s a project color. You could probably get some interesting mixed chicks by crossing him to the black crested white.

Depending on the rooster, gold laced could produce either heterozygous buff laced, partial gold laced, blue with partial lacing, barred with leakage, black/blue with leakage, or possibly even partial silver laced. To get the most mixed looking chicks, I would cross the gold laced to blue/splash or cuckoo.

Silver laced is going to be basically the same as gold laced, just silver leakage or silver lacing instead of gold. If you cross silver laced to buff laced, you’ll get chicks that look white but are genetically silver laced white.

Blue mottled could be bred to blue/black/splash to eventually get more blue mottled/black mottled since mottling is recessive, but you wouldn’t get mottling in the first generation. Crossing blue mottled could result in blues, blacks, blues/blacks with leakage, blues/blacks with barring, whites, or whites with leakage/partial lacing.

For white, I’m not totally sure what you would get in crosses to other colors, as it could be dominant or recessive. If it’s dominant, you’ll get white, white with red leakage, or white with partial lacing. If it’s recessive, you could get a number of different things but probably not more whites.

I don’t totally understand the genetics of black crested white, but I believe you would mostly get chicks with a lot of silver leakage or silver lacing when crossing it to another color. However, if you cross to buff laced, you’ll get more chicks that look white but are really silver and white.

Back
Top Bottom