Is mating a reliable sign of a hen starting to lay.

Ohgrr

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Yakima, WA
I've tried to find a good discussion on this but so far I haven't had any luck, forgive me if it is out there.

I have a flock of hens and one definite rooster. All the girls are between 15-17 weeks of age. My cochin has become receptive to my roo and started mating today. Is this a good sign laying is imminent?

No, If you mean that will she lay in the next few days after first beginning to mate. It can take several weeks to several months before a pullet begins to lay after mating.

Yes. If you mean that she will lay in the next few weeks to months. The mating and squatting of a hen precedes the laying of an egg. Sometimes by weeks sometimes by months. However speaking in generalities, the mating act does indeed indicate the maturity of a pullet and overall does indicate to some extent that yes she will lay sometime "soon". It may be months before that happens but can happen within a few weeks.

There is no set gauge on how many days from mating will a pullet begin to lay. Some hens avoid a roo because they don't like to be mounted or they don't like that particular roo.

Wish ya the best.

I am new at this and had the same question! My pullets are around 17 weeks, too.Thank you for your post and for the response! Happy Waiting! :)

No, If you mean that will she lay in the next few days after first beginning to mate. It can take several weeks to several months before a pullet begins to lay after mating.

Yes. If you mean that she will lay in the next few weeks to months. The mating and squatting of a hen precedes the laying of an egg. Sometimes by weeks sometimes by months. However speaking in generalities, the mating act does indeed indicate the maturity of a pullet and overall does indicate to some extent that yes she will lay sometime "soon". It may be months before that happens but can happen within a few weeks.

There is no set gauge on how many days from mating will a pullet begin to lay. Some hens avoid a roo because they don't like to be mounted or they don't like that particular roo.

Wish ya the best.

x2.

Congrats. That is the best part of having chickens.
thumbsup.gif

Wish ya the best.
goodpost.gif

I'm sure it does. I think I got lucky. It's 20 weeks and she is still the only one to lay. I've got another hen starting to squat so I'm hoping to start getting more eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom