Is muffin a rooster?

tinyscrafts

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Lakewood
The white and black one.
It's about 5 weeks old. My mom says it cockle doodle doo'd her when I was on vacation. but She doesn't know much about chickens... It seems to cluck and cackle at a higher pitch than the others.. and it;s much bigger than my others... It's supposed to be an Ameraucana... EE I guess. I almost took it back to the store today... If he's a boy he has to go.. click for the bigger pic....

What do you guys think?

and at 22days old...

Last edited:
I think it's possible. Our EE are girls,so I'm not 100%.Usually the boys sport the red early on.It looks like you may have 3 boys in the shot,BR,EE and the tan one on the left in pic 2.Again not 100% on the 3 being boys just kinda look it. Good Luck.
smile.png

5 weeks is a bit early to panic just yet, but usually when i suspect I've got a roo by 5 weeks it usually turns out to be a roo. Some hens are just a lot louder that others though.

chicky mama! bite your tounge!!! That would leave me with only 3... and these were supposed to be sexed pullets... I'd have to give that feed store guy a piece of my mind!!!
lol.png

That's a roo...sorry. I had the same color sexed pullet become the sweetest roo ever, and the coloring is fairly standard for Easter Egger roos.

I think I see a skinny feather coming in right in front of his tail- if this is so, it's a pointy saddle feather, and it's a good indicator for manliness. I bet he has legs a bit thicker and longer, too...EE girls don't even have visible combs until after 12 weeks, usually.

Last edited:
Our feed store guy said out of 100 sexed birds 6 will be boys,small % but someone ends up with them. As I said I'm just guessing from the pic they may look different in person. See how red the wattle skin is compared to the others, sometimes that's an early indicator.Some breeds develop differently.We've had a few I swore was one thing and it turned out another.I'm not saying it's 100% just a thought at what I saw. Some BR pullies do get combs quicker than others,we had them for a short time as chicks- 3mo.. I'm sorry if I upset you, just called it like I saw it.
smile.png

The white & grey EE is a boy and possibly the red one next to it. The barred rock looks like a girl to me.

Our feed store also boasts a 90% pullet rate. The first 10 we bought from them were all pullets, next time we bought two more - also both pullets. We then bought 5 more and 2 of them were cockerels.
So.. out of the first 12 - 100% pullet rate, but out of the next 5, only 60% were pullets (both BOs we picked out were boys).

I guess I'll be taking more pics tomorrow... Not too upset yet... but I might be with that guy if I have 3 roos! I got one extra in case... but i'd really like to keep 5 hens
smile.png

Quote:
Hopefully, your black & white EE is the only boy (he definitely is). But.... the red one on the left does look like it's already getting a red comb - a 5 week old pullet should still have a yellow comb.

If the comb on your BR is still yellow, then no worries there. It looks dark and BR cockerels are typically lighter colored. Does your BR have a grey wash down the front of its yellow legs? That would be another sign of it being a pullet.

Here's a couple of my pullets at 7-8 weeks of age - you can see the wash on the front of their legs.
19548_chickens_007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom