IS MY BABY DYING??

BreezyValley

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Big Red is a 1 yr old Ameraucana who weighs no more than a few pounds but makes up for it with her spunky and friendly attitude... until four days ago when I saw her just standing in place instead of coming to greet me like usual.

(((DAY 1)))

I walked over to her and saw why; her vent was red and slightly prolapsed. I took her inside and gave her a bath. Periodically she would push like she was trying to poop or lay an egg and the vent would invert and she would make a chirping sound like she was constipated. When she prolapsed I saw crusty white in between the oviduct and cloaca seeping a whiteish yellow creamy liquid. I felt around her abdomen and inside the oviduct and there was no egg there or shells. She would periodically poop small loose stools, sometimes with blood. It was late and I couldn’t get to the store so the next day

(((DAY 2)))

I began treating immediately with monistat, preparation H, and hydrocortisone cream. At this point she was drinking water and ate a little of her normal feed ration and was really into the plain yogurt with live cultures. I mixed apple cider vinegar with mother into her water and she drank a little. She’s been separated and in my bathroom with the lights off more often than on to prevent her from laying. She had a very squishy crop, so I’m assuming she had yeast there too. I massage it multiple times a day but I have not tried to make her vomit.

(((DAY 3)))

Third day she’s more poofed up and starting to look sleepy which is really scaring me. She seems interested in yogurt and layer crumbles momentarily and sometimes takes a few small bites, but then stops and closes her eyes. At this point she will drink if I dip my finger in water and hold it next to her head for her to peck it, but won’t approach the waterer. Her vent looks absolutely awful at this point, despite a daily bath, twice a day topicals, and even more numerous cleanings with hemorrhoid wipes that have witch hazel. Blood sometimes, and as I wipe her I notice some of the white crusties have turned brown or almost black, and are sort of peeling off. Her discharge at this point is running a little more clear and not as thick.

(((DAY 4)))

The next day it’s a lot more of the same, except even less interested in food and even more time with her eyes closed. Her crop has shrunk down to very small so I try to encourage her to eat but she’s just not into it. This entire time she still pushes her whole butt out sometimes multiple times in a span of a minute or two.

(((DAY 5 TODAY)))

Now it’s today. I’ve gotten her to drink water with ACV and some dissolved aspirin, and she’s seemingly more interested in it since I can pour it into a shallow Tupperware lid and if I dip her beak in she’ll drink. She still prefers me to dip my finger and have her peck. It doesn’t really seem like she’s lost much weight but she was very small to begin with; she’s my smallest girl. Since she’s drank more water today than yesterday her crop is puffed up again, which makes me nervous I did the wrong thing. Today the outside of her vent looks MUCH less irritated than before, and when she isn’t pushing out often everything sucks back in and looks less swollen. More of the original white crusties are sort of turning black and peeling off, but there’s still a substantial chunk right in the middle, and I’m afraid to pull at it too much because it bleeds slightly afterward. I just did another internal finger sweep to make sure there wasn’t anything new inside. Earlier today she took a couple tiny pecks of her favorite bits of her layer food but I don’t think she even ate them. Pooping less, but I can’t imagine there’s much left in her tummy.

((OTHER DETAILS))

She has 38 sisters and they live in an old barn and some sleep in a separate coop. We use pine shavings for flooring materials and they eat organic layer rations. We use the deep litter method and recently cleaned it all out and started new. Their poop lands on a shelf under the roosts and I clean it out at least once per week. There is a compost pile in their huge run where we do dump kitchen scraps (so I know this is possibly where it came from) There are four plastic waterers that are cleaned every time they get close to empty and there are three steel feeders that are up off the ground. Their run is MASSIVE and they forage bugs and worms and all the goodies. They are all my friends and Big Red is LITERALLY my favorite f****g one. I don’t have any vets near me who take chickens (wtf) and I spoke on the phone with a small animal vet at UW Madison today and he said he has nothing else in the way of advice for me.

Ok I think that’s all for the explanation, now for my questions.
1. should I be trying to feed her something?
2. Should I be trying to vomit the stuff out of her crop?
3. Has anyone ever even had a chicken come back from something like this?
4. why in the h*ck is she still pushing?
5. Is she just resting and healing while standing there with her feathers puffed and eyes closed or should I be really concerned? (((I AM ALREADY REALLY CONCERNED)))
6. Does it seem like the bum treatment is working? (Never seen vent gleet/yeast infection before so I have no clue what it looks like when it’s healing)
7. Should I be trying to get her to drink water?
8. Should I just start bawling my eyes out and picking a place to bury her?

I’ve posted in numerous other chicken groups and all I get from people is “you’re doing all the right things, keep it up!” But she just looks so tired and sick it’s hard to believe that what I’m doing is working, and I seriously want to know if anyone has had a chicken recover from this.
PLEASE HELP.
First pic is day 1 and second is today. Third pic is also today and what it looks like when she pushes out completely. Fourth pic is her beautiful face.

Attachments

• EF0A21A6-D8EC-4B33-AB93-2834A8515470.jpeg
    EF0A21A6-D8EC-4B33-AB93-2834A8515470.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 6C0835D0-D716-4C76-A492-C4E80E2CCBB6.jpeg
    6C0835D0-D716-4C76-A492-C4E80E2CCBB6.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B82DFDFA-A44E-425D-875B-987AFCE1B60F.jpeg
    B82DFDFA-A44E-425D-875B-987AFCE1B60F.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 7
1. should I be trying to feed her something?
2. Should I be trying to vomit the stuff out of her crop?
3. Has anyone ever even had a chicken come back from something like this?
4. why in the h*ck is she still pushing?
5. Is she just resting and healing while standing there with her feathers puffed and eyes closed or should I be really concerned? (((I AM ALREADY REALLY CONCERNED)))
6. Does it seem like the bum treatment is working? (Never seen vent gleet/yeast infection before so I have no clue what it looks like when it’s healing)
7. Should I be trying to get her to drink water?
8. Should I just start bawling my eyes out and picking a place to bury her?
:hugs Welcome To BYC!

How is Big Red doing?

I'm going to tag in some more eyes here and hopefully we can offer some suggestions.
@azygous @coach723 @Eggcessive

I'm very sorry that she's having a hard time.
If I understand correctly - when she's not pushing or pooping - most of the prolapsed tissue goes back in (right?).

You are doing what you can. I would definitely keep the tissue moist with your ointments.
To me, I wonder if she's got a blockage - maybe a lash egg (salpingitis) that she's trying to pass.
The blood and continued weakening is concerning to me as well.
IF she were mine, then I would start an antibiotic. A lot depends on where you live, my Tractor Supply stocks Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) - if your's does, that would be first choice just because it's the quickest/easiest to get a hold of and you don't have to wait for meds in the mail. If you need to order something, the either Baytril or Amoxicillin would be the ones I would use. (links below). Also if you do have a vet that's willing to help out with meds, then do that.

Now. If you have them, use epsom salts in your soaking water - this may help reduce swelling. Her lethargy is something to be concerned about - soaking a weak bird can put them over the edge, so be mindful of that.

Yes. I would absolutely try to get her hydrated and drinking. What's worked for me believe it or not is offering water in a chick waterer. For some reason mine like that little thing with a glass jar, they will drink out of it - try different cups/containers you never know what will peak her interest. (Chickens are weirdos you know :))

Lastly, I would try to get her to eat something after she is hydrated. Try a little wet feed, scrambled egg, even a tablespoon of canned cat food. Watermelon is also something that birds seem to like - if she will take a bit of that it would be good. What not substantial it is hydrating and has a few vitamins/minerals - it won't hurt her.

For the crop if it's sour, don't massage. I'm sure Carol (Azygous) will be along and help with that - she's great with crop problems. I'm hopeful that you can resolve the vent problem, then the crop issue should start clearing up as well - these things seem to go hand-in-hand.

Also, thank you for the last photo - she does have a Beautiful Face. She's a sweetheart!

I agree with everything @Wyorp Rock has said. I too worry that it may be a blockage. Salpingitis can do this and you cannot see the problem since it's internal. The only other thing I can add is that you can give her some coconut oil, refrigerate til firm and break it in pieces. If she won't eat it you can put it in her beak. If it's a purely digestive issue that will sometimes get things moving. I suspect it's more than that, but it won't do any harm. And I agree that the crop not emptying is probably from the same cause as the prolapse. I know that sometimes people will devise a sling or bandage to wrap around and help hold the prolapse in place. This link has a picture of one if you scroll down.
https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/topic/45813-prolapsed-vent/

Everyone has been very helpful and also, you, our OP, has been doing everything right. However, there is one thing missing from her treatment. Calcium. This is critically needed when a hen appears to be trying to expel an egg or egg remains or some other material from her reproductive tract. It strengthen contractions making it much easier for her to get rid of material that needs to come out.

Any form of calcium supplement you have on hand will work. It should be a tablet at minimum 400mg. Give it whole right into her beak. Follow up with one each day until she expels all foreign material.

I would guess she has a shell-less egg hung up or a collapsed egg. This is exhausting her and could kill her. The calcium will help.

In addition, as @Wyorp Rock mentioned, an oral antibiotic is recommended in this case as infection may be underway from a possible collapsed egg.

Back
Top Bottom