Is my Barnevelder a Bantam?

Oct 15, 2023
I've long since had suspicions about this little Mrs., but wanted to ask ya'lls opinions. This is my first supposed Barnevelder so I didn't really know what to expect, but I have heard that Barnevelders are suppose to be big birds weighing around eight pounds. Now this may be wrong, but this little girl has always been small, she weighs barely 3 lbs and
Buns.jpg
is almost two years old! She hasn't given us many eggs, but the ones she has layed are small, and she is a lot smaller than her flockmates, though its hard to tell from the picture.

I've long since had suspicions about this little Mrs., but wanted to ask ya'lls opinions. This is my first supposed Barnevelder so I didn't really know what to expect, but I have heard that Barnevelders are suppose to be big birds weighing around eight pounds. Now this may be wrong, but this little girl has always been small, she weighs barely 3 lbs and View attachment 3731692is almost two years old! She hasn't given us many eggs, but the ones she has layed are small, and she is a lot smaller than her flockmates, though its hard to tell from the picture.
Bantams are generally under 3lbs, so it could a possibility. Or she may have been stunted in growth.

Just from the photo, she doesn't look like a bantam, but it's kind of hard to judge size without any comparison. Do you have a picture of her next to her flock mates? I have a Barnevelder as well, and she's very short, but hefty.
Yes I know, I'll get another picture tomorrow she is sleeping right now! I had a friend who said the same thing but then they saw her in person and they were like wow she is small!

Okay, well I think she's a standard size. Since you got her from TSC, they usually source their chicks from hatcheries, and hatcheries don't breed for SOP. She's just hatchery quality, so she weighs less and doesn't come up to the SOP. If you got one from a breeder, they'd be much bigger, since they breed to the SOP.
I have a Dominique hen from a hatchery, and she's quite small.

Back
Top Bottom