Is my Blue Orpington actually Lavender, with the shredder gene?

4got the shredder gene issue. Dont worry about it. I see it in my blue hens who come out very light blue or unlaced. and it shows its self in 1 in 10 splash. Blue also carries a shredder gene, the closer I get to silver white the more it presents. I have brought in 2 lines of blacks to overcorrect the color,, but I know from experience as they lighten over 3 generations the shredder gene will reappear. Hope this helps.

4got the shredder gene issue. Dont worry about it. I see it in my blue hens who come out very light blue or unlaced. and it shows its self in 1 in 10 splash. Blue also carries a shredder gene, the closer I get to silver white the more it presents. I have brought in 2 lines of blacks to overcorrect the color,, but I know from experience as they lighten over 3 generations the shredder gene will reappear. Hope this helps.
This was very helpful and thanks for sharing pics of your chicks! She is in fact very light, doesn’t appear to be feathering out splash. She’s a very sweet thing and her unruly feathers seem to be settling a bit. My blue silkie that I got that same day seems extremely dark grey almost black so it’s interesting to see the range that can fall under blue!

got some updated pics of her this afternoon!
IMG_5874.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5888.jpeg
    IMG_5888.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5886.jpeg
    IMG_5886.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 17
1 the pic is not my hen, just for example. Your birdn if it truly is a blue, and it probably is (lavender is way more popular than BBS, so it wouldn't make sense to "mislable"). That would make your bird a splash, she may show some pepper spots or she may be clean like the one in the pic. I dont have any adult hens that color right now, but I have a few from the last hatch. Lighter the blue, more feather tatter

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230530-212011_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230530-212011_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 15
The bird in question appears to be Lavender. There's a slim chance it is a very poorly-bred blue with a very washed-out and even color or a splash that is totally even. But I doubt it.

Here are some of my Blues and Splash for comparison.

Blue pair with a Mauve hen in the shot:
2A2D8B6F-21F8-4555-84EB-5BA01D15ED06.jpeg

Blue pair and a Black hen.
23CC338B-6FA2-463F-A391-AB773F130EB2.jpeg

From left to right, front to back: Black, Lavender, Blue, and Chocolate
IMG_2933.JPG

Splash hens:
Splash Orpington Hen.jpg
Splash Orpington.jpg

Attachments

• 87135D58-171B-4811-B541-967ECEBE5089.jpeg
    87135D58-171B-4811-B541-967ECEBE5089.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 6
The bird in question appears to be Lavender. There's a slim chance it is a very poorly-bred blue with a very washed-out and even color or a splash that is totally even. But I doubt it.

Here are some of my Blues and Splash for comparison.

Blue pair with a Mauve hen in the shot:
View attachment 3524111

Blue pair and a Black hen.
View attachment 3524112

From left to right, front to back: Black, Lavender, Blue, and Chocolate
View attachment 3524114

Splash hens:
View attachment 3524115View attachment 3524116
Your birds are gorgeous. I can’t see much of the mauve hen but that color looks spectacular. I only have the one Orpington but I could see myself getting more in the future. I love how they look. I would just need to locate a breeder because there is a big difference between the hatchery lines and breeder stock just based on this thread alone 😂.

Your birds are gorgeous. I can’t see much of the mauve hen but that color looks spectacular. I only have the one Orpington but I could see myself getting more in the future. I love how they look. I would just need to locate a breeder because there is a big difference between the hatchery lines and breeder stock just based on this thread alone 😂.
Thank you. :) Here's a better look at her.

23F8E66D-655C-43B5-A38B-F73908541CCE.jpeg

718E6DCF-D81C-4B3C-A60F-6D6DE3DA6CB3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom