Is my Blue Orpington actually Lavender, with the shredder gene?

Looks lavender to me. I don't think I have ever actually owned any blues but I think there can be different shades of it. I am very familiar with lavender though since I breed lavender Ameraucanas.
Can I see? I bet they are beautiful! I love the lavender/blue colors, like a lot of us here I’m sure. When I got her she was the last one left so there weren’t any to compare her to, but our blue silkie is much much darker. So lavender makes sense!

Thank you for the confirmation, I hadn’t even heard of the shredder gene before joining this forum so I’m glad I came across it before getting her. In person her feathers just always look messy.

If it doesn’t affect health, would it still be best to not breed her in the future?
It depends. If you’re trying to breed show birds or something, then I wouldn’t but if you just want pretty layers or barnyard mixes or whatever then it doesn’t matter. Also, just for the record, I bred my Lavender male who had the gene and none of his babies ended up with it. So I think maybe it needs two copies to pass on? I’m not sure on that though. I did breed to other breeds though so if I had bred to more Lav Orps it might have passed on, not sure. But I didn’t have any. But yeah, just want to clarify that.

It depends. If you’re trying to breed show birds or something, then I wouldn’t but if you just want pretty layers or barnyard mixes or whatever then it doesn’t matter. Also, just for the record, I bred my Lavender male who had the gene and none of his babies ended up with it. So I think maybe it needs two copies to pass on? I’m not sure on that though. I did breed to other breeds though so if I had bred to more Lav Orps it might have passed on, not sure. But I didn’t have any. But yeah, just want to clarify that.
Thanks, it was honestly just a question for the future. I don’t have any plans to breed for any purpose really. But there may come a day 😂. My two cockerels are a barred naked neck and a buff silkie, so I don’t have a breeding project lined up by any means. Just falling in love with chickens, one bird at a time.

Thanks, it was honestly just a question for the future. I don’t have any plans to breed for any purpose really. But there may come a day 😂. My two cockerels are a barred naked neck and a buff silkie, so I don’t have a breeding project lined up by any means. Just falling in love with chickens, one bird at a time.
That’s totally understandable! I never planned to breed either until one of my hens went broody and I was like “what the heck, I’ll let her hatch” 😂🙈

Blue to blue gives you blue black or splash. You have a very light blue to silver (most likely a pullet) or a splash. These are all chicks from my true blue orpintons. I get 5 different things. Splash, Blue laced (different shades), blue patterned, true blacks (shiny green and teal), blacks split to blue (very dull). Your bird will be a light blue or a splash. Last pic splash roo, bred to split black hen all blues. Blue orpington is tricky fun!

Attachments

• 20230530_104853.jpg
    20230530_104853.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230530_104851.jpg
    20230530_104851.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230530_104818.jpg
    20230530_104818.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230520_171335.jpg
    20230520_171335.jpg