Is my brahma pullet a bantam or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeetleChick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    I have a beautiful brahma pullet that is about 8 weeks old, she came out of the TSC bantam bin with my bantam cochin rooster. Since they were tiny chicks, she has always been about the same size or maybe a bit bigger than our 10 red pullets, but in the last couple of weeks, the red pullets seemed to have caught & passed her. They are now taller than she is by a little bit, she is still about twice the size of the bantam rooster. BTW, what breed are my red pullets, if theses photos show enough of them? Some are a dark red-orange, others are more rust-orange/red. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one bantam buff brahma hen, Maggie, while the rest of my brahmas are LF. Looking at Maggie I can tell you that although she is a bantam, she is still a good sized bird. She is about the same size as my other breeds of standard chickens and nowhere near as big as my LF brahmas.

3. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Thanks [​IMG] I feel a little sorry for my Roo, sounds like he is going to be surrounded by big hens.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:And he'll love every minute of it. [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    He does look like a bantam. The big girls will all be fair game for him, though, when he hits puberty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by