Is my brown leghorn a roo?

Girl. Single combed brown leghorns have pretty good sized combs and look more boyish by that size. Rose comb brown leghorns are a little harder to sex.

We had 6 leghorns... one pullet and 5 roos. All of the roos had combs like that. The hen's comb got bigger, but not until she was older. Her comb was bigger than the other (non-leghorn) pullets though, but not that big nor red.

you never know though! Wait if it crows soon, you'll know!

Well, I sure am glad we got that settled! LOL

She has NO black feathers on her chest. Her comb isn't red at all. and the other chick/young pullet in with her is Rusti the RIR.. and has this tiny little comb, so even if Coco's comb is normal for a young leghorn pullet... it looks HUGE compared to Rusti's.

Either way, I have decided to continue my search for an Americauna breeding pair.

Vote for the girl team! Going by color of her body and lack of color on her comb. I'm betting you'll get white eggs in a few months
smile.png

As Fancyfowl4ever said, black chest = boy. Your BLH looks just like my 3 pullets (6wks old) and nothing at all like my roo. My roo has nice, bright red, 1/2" long wattles and at least a 1" comb already. Plus, a black chest.
wink.png

Go look for your Ameraucana pair - you're safe - and let me know if you get blues or lavenders!

Back
Top Bottom