Is my brown leghorn not a brown leghorn?? Dark brown eggs!

Compare her to a Brown Leghorn:
Beetov-Hen on boxes.JPG

Hmmm, welbar, never heard that name before! I'm speed-googling here ... seeing the word "rare" a lot. She was a TSC chick, would they be selling welbars?

What about her white earlobes? The images I'm seeing of welbars all have red earlobes.

Speaking of earlobes, I will say this pullet seems to have much smaller ones than the leghorn images I've been seeing.

The eggs I'm getting from her from certainly do match those I see from welbars!

Thank everyone!!!

Thanks!

It always struck me that this "leghorn" chicken never fit the "nervous and flighty" description people give them. This girl is very alert, but in a good way. Curious, friendly, always among the first to come running up to me.

In any case, I'm actually glad she's NOT a leghorn. I'm not really into white eggs, I've been buying those at the store for fifty years. So this is a happy surprise. :)

I can validate the fact that tractor supply had welbars this year, cause i got some too. "Only" got 3. Because even tho i read welbars lay dark brown eggs, like u i had never heard of the breed before, so wasnt sure what to believe. Mine are 14 weeks old so no laying yet. But now that u have validated welbars DO lay dark brown eggs, wish ida got more! Got some welsummers that same week, but the 2 breeds are Very easy to differentiate due to the welbar's obvious barring.

Back
Top Bottom