Is my chick okay?

I thought it looked normal in the pic too. Since you have all different breeds, remember each is going to be somewhat different, even though they are the same age and raised the same. I raised 6 of 6 different breeds and noticed different growth rates, feathering rates, different behavior.

Ok, I'm not so worried any more. Now she's more active. Maybe she slept less in the store's brooder and was tired?

In my experience, chicks do sleep a lot. They're babies and the stress of hatching along with transport just seems to tucker them out.

Congrats on the new chicks btw!

Edit: now that I think about it, lazy gardener brings up a good point... If it were just one of the 3 things I would probably ignore it but because there's more to it, I would look into it as well
I just picked up 21 chicks from the po yesterday. It was clear when we put them in the brooder that some were tiny while others were larger. We didn't think it would be a problem until we found the Crevecores laying on the others. The yokohamas seems tiny and weak. We set them up with sugar water when we got home and they were vocal and active. I am concerned about the difference in size and strength. While we used v the shipping box to segrevate one that had a wound on its beak and the others were pecking at, I don't know if I want to put the little ones in with that one. We don't have the equipment or room for two.brooders so I need some way to protect the smaller ones. Or maybe I don't? We are physically taking the smaller ones to the water every couple of hours to be sure they drink. Evry once in a while we check the brooder to find one of the Crevecours on the opposite side from all the others sleeping against the wall. I hope they aren't going to be weird chickens! Lol! Can't do pics right now but I will try tomorrow.

If you can't set up 2 brooders, maybe you could put in a piece of cardboard as a divider? It could be a temporary fix. If the weaker ones are getting picked on, separation is always a good option! I don't have any experience with either of those breeds, however, so if anyone else could add to this?

I had a chick once that needed to be separated, and we set up a small bin that had pine shavings with food and water in it, with some chicken wire over it so the other chick couldn't get to her, if you do set this up then put the small bin in the chick brooder, so she can still see the other chicks. hope this helps!

If you can't set up 2 brooders, maybe you could put in a piece of cardboard as a divider? It could be a temporary fix. If the weaker ones are getting picked on, separation is always a good option! I don't have any experience with either of those breeds, however, so if anyone else could add to this?
I actually replied to this posts before but not sure why I can't see it. At any rate, thanks for your reply. We decided to put the tiny ones into the shipping box within the brooder so it can share the warming lamp. We are going to continue to stimulate the tiny ones to eat and drink every 2 hours just to be sure. And continue the sugar water too. Otherwise, fingers crossed!

I had a chick once that needed to be separated, and we set up a small bin that had pine shavings with food and water in it, with some chicken wire over it so the other chick couldn't get to her, if you do set this up then put the small bin in the chick brooder, so she can still see the other chicks. hope this helps!
Thanks Gemma. See reply to flytie for update.

Back
Top Bottom