Is my chick sick?

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
I have a two day old chick who’s kind of away of dopey and sleeps most of the time I was wondering if she looked sick to any of you
D304E44E-1A15-4278-99A6-E2CB77C09593.jpeg

F135CB74-CCC5-476C-B368-AD2104ACAD72.jpeg

I hate to say this, but she does indeed look sick to me... Has she been eating well like the others? Does she make noises pretty often? If so would you describe them as a normal sound for babies or kinda loud and annoying in a way.

I hate to say this, but she does indeed look sick to me... Has she been eating well like the others? Does she make noises pretty often? If so would you describe them as a normal sound for babies or kinda loud and annoying in a way.
I’m not sure if she’s eating or drinking properly but she’s very loud and only quiets down when I hold her or put my hand over her.

What's your brooder temperature?

They need 95 to 100 for the first week with clean water and chick feed.

I suggest you monitor the chick more often just incase it goes down hill.

What's your brooder temperature?

They need 95 to 100 for the first week with clean water and chick feed.

I suggest you monitor the chick more often just incase it goes down hill.
Maybe the temperature is the problem then? We had them in with the duckling for the first two days because we didn’t have a brooder for them yet so it’s been at 30c, I give them new food and water every morning.

I have a two day old chick who’s kind of away of dopey and sleeps most of the time I was wondering if she looked sick to any of youView attachment 2848919
View attachment 2848918
YES!!! Very, very sick. Chicks are not meant to sleep all day, they’re supposed to run around, full of energy. Does she have proper heat? ~90°F is the right temp. Have you checked for pasting or Omphalitis?
Where did you buy her?

Maybe the temperature is the problem then? We had them in with the duckling for the first two days because we didn’t have a brooder for them yet so it’s been at 30c, I give them new food and water every morning.
Is she with other chicks?

If she only calms down when you put your hand over her, that can mean a few things.
One: she’s cold and the warmth of your hand is what she’s seeking out.
Two: she’s lonely and considers you her mum. She wants to be near you. (But this doesn’t explain the weak, sick behavior)
Three: she’s in pain and maybe just feels comforted by you.

Back
Top Bottom