Is my chick sick??

Drea_Dee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I got two new baby chicks a week ago.. a buff orpington and a red star but I noticed that one of them is pooping a little abnormally.. its poop is more like a brown pudding then regular chick poop.. does this mean its sick?? in the week that I've had them they've been doing very well and I know i've been following the right guide lines (trying my absolute best too!!!) so this confuses me!! has this ever happened to anyone else?? thank you for all your help!!

Are they pooping like this all the time? They will have a weird poop every five poops or so.
What are you feeding them? Where are they living? Inside, outside? On grass, in dirt?

They are living in the garage in a special little coop I built with them with a infered heat lamp with a red bulb.. and I have a thermameter in there so I know its the right temperature!! I'm giving them regular chick feed and grit (same thing I used on my other chicken that grew up to be very healthy and happy) and I'm putting a little bit of broiler booster in there water.. there behavior seems totally normal and none of them look sick.. this is why this confuses me.. I'm hoping its just a weird poop!!

They'll have that weird poop (There is a name for it but who knows what it is) every five or so poops. Keep and eye on them and make sure that they are having normal poops between the other poops. Sounds like you have them in a proper enviorment and you're feeding them the correct feed, so I'm about as confused as you!

My baby silkies do this off and on and they are fine. Esp when I feed them different snacks. If they are acting normally I would just keep an eye on them.
frow.gif

Thank you all for your help!!! I'm not as freaked out now but I'll deffinitly keep an eye on them..thanks again
smile.png

if you see the droppings start to have pink or red in them, or turn a pasty tan..
treat for cocci.

also make sure the feed isn't getting wet and going sour under the light.

Back
Top Bottom