Is my chick ugly? Cream Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg

front 1st from the left in first pic.
front 2nd from the right and he is looking at cam in 2nd pic.

Maybe šŸ¤£
That was also my pick. If so, he's fairly distinctive looking with that big white patch on top of his head! I think he's a cutie! Are we right? Hope you'll keep posting pics to this thread as he feathers out.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.53.29 AM.png

this one lol

For the past year, I've been experimenting with sex-linked and auto-sexing hybrids that lay colorful, predictable eggshell colors. Most have turned out really cool. This particular blue-egger hybrid wasn't on my list initially, but I had a lot of demand for blue eggs from people who wanted to buy my chicks. I currently only have 2 Cream Legbar laying hens. Breeding my Hamburg hens with Cream Legbar rooster doubled my capacity to produce blue-egger chicks. Here's what they look like...
(I'm presuming female on the left, male on the right but please let me know if you think I got the sex wrong)
View attachment 2604618View attachment 2604620

The females aren't bad looking, although not the prettiest in the flock. I hatched 5 of them, with just this one male.

But I'm afraid the male chick is ...ugly. Maybe he will get prettier as he gets his feathers? What do you think? Am I being too critical of this sweet little one-day-old chick?
View attachment 2604637

For comparison, here's what I get when I cross the same hen with my Golden Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben...
View attachment 2604640View attachment 2604641

What do you think?
They're cute and you get blue eggs!

Here is a photo of the little boy I kept (along with one of my Gold Spitz girls). He turned out gorgeous! This was about a month ago. I swear he's getting prettier by the day. Really smart too
View attachment 2811543

Here's one of my blue egger girls, of the same cross. I've gotten a few new blue eggs recently, but haven't been able to catch them in action to find out who it is. This was about a month ago as well. She currently has very red face & comb. She's really sweet and curious--more of a Legbar personality vs. a Hamburg (thank goodness!)
View attachment 2811544
They are gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom