Is my chicken a rooster?

I really wondered! This is my first flock, and I raised it since it was 1 week old. It's always had such a nice temperament so I thought it developed faster. I know roosters tend to be mean. Do they just develop that at a certain age? This one is very docile, but I know its only 12 weeks old
They can get that way at 12 weeks+ but don't turn your back on him if you feel uncomfortable about him, make sure he respects you and moves out of your way when you approach, feed him not the girls, and you should do great. I was spurred once between the eyes and I was ignoring the above.

Actually there’s a lot of nice roosters out there. All roosters are mean is a very common stereotype. It really depends on the individual personality of the bird.

A lot of my favorite and most friendly birds have been roosters!
That's reassuring lol. I'm quite attached to well him I guess, I have handled every single one of them since they were babies, and I'm out there every day with them. I can feed them out of my hands, and hold them with no problem. I worked with them a lot so I could make sure they were people friendly. So I guess I hope that has an impact on how this little guy is gonna turn out! I never planned on a rooster because of everything I've heard, so I had the assumption they were all like that. At what age would he start showing aggressiveness, If he gets aggressive?

They can get that way at 12 weeks+ but don't turn your back on him if you feel uncomfortable about him, make sure he respects you and moves out of your way when you approach, feed him not the girls, and you should do great. I was spurred once between the eyes and I was ignoring the above.
This one is actually one of the friendliest of even the females. I pick him up, and pet him all around, and feed him out of my hand. I've never seen any signs of aggression yet.

That's reassuring lol. I'm quite attached to well him I guess, I have handled every single one of them since they were babies, and I'm out there every day with them. I can feed them out of my hands, and hold them with no problem. I worked with them a lot so I could make sure they were people friendly. So I guess I hope that has an impact on how this little guy is gonna turn out! I never planned on a rooster because of everything I've heard, so I had the assumption they were all like that. At what age would he start showing aggressiveness, If he gets aggressive?
if he is easily handled and will eat outta your hand only issues is when hormones kick in but once they level out and he is used to them he will return to his normal self. Do not let anyone go out chasing the hens and you should be fine. Some of my hens are more aggressive than what he is, unless like the neighbors dog gets to close to the fence, or had egg thieves cut my back fence, well loose neighbors dog got in and killed a couple hens and a baby chick, he chased the dog all the way home, dog has since learned to respect his boundaries

if he is easily handled and will eat outta your hand only issues is when hormones kick in but once they level out and he is used to them he will return to his normal self. Do not let anyone go out chasing the hens and you should be fine. Some of my hens are more aggressive than what he is, unless like the neighbors dog gets to close to the fence, or had egg thieves cut my back fence, well loose neighbors dog got in and killed a couple hens and a baby chick, he chased the dog all the way home, dog has since learned to respect his boundaries
How long does it usually take for the hormones to level out? And when do they usually kick in, age wise

usually about 3 -5 months is the worst of it , then they start to level out, it's a lot easier though when he's already a nice cockerel due to handling and hand feeding, be aware once hormones kick in though he may not like being picked up at much, but that will vary from rooster to rooster. Your already ahead of the game as he's raised in the flock. cockerels usually start maturing 1-2 months ahead of pullets, and you will see him start to try forcing himself on the hens.

If you have small children, be very aware. If they are going to be aggressive, they tend to attack small children first.

Very friendly roosters do not have any fear of humans, and therefore can become aggressive. This forum is full of posts where the darling became the nightmare.

Watch for these signs:
  • excessive crowing around you
  • jumping up on something to get as tall as you are
  • excessive flapping and puffing up
  • a beady eye, where he stares at you
  • if he sneaks around behind you
If you have children under the age of 6 they can take an attack at the face. Do be aware.

Roosters need a lot of space, and are rather a crap shoot. If he gets aggressive, you need to know what you are going to do. Most people under estimate the violence of a rooster attack if they have not seen one.

Having a plan B set up and ready to go is important. You might get lucky and never need it, but you might not, and need it NOW.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom