Is my chicken a rooster?

StealthMouse is correct. I'm saying pullet after raising so many Delawares over the past five years or so. Delaware pullets do seem to get pink in the comb much sooner than some other breeds do.

For example, here is a 7 week old Delaware cockerel I had last year:

Here is a different one, even younger at just 4 weeks old-see that honking comb??

Last edited:
StealthMouse is correct. I'm saying pullet after raising so many Delawares over the past five years or so. Delaware pullets do seem to get pink in the comb much sooner than some other breeds do.

For example, here is a 7 week old Delaware cockerel I had last year:

Here is a different one, even younger at just 4 weeks old-see that honking comb??

I agree as well. That comb is pink, but it's not big enough to warrant me saying it's a cockerel. I have girls that mature this way (Barred Plymouth Rocks) and I find the two breeds (Barred Rocks & Delaware) Mature very similarly.

By the way: Cynthia, that last picture is adorable!

Last edited:
Not many chicksters any cuter than a Delaware cockerel with those humongous combs they get so early.

Another thing about the Dellie pullets: They have "tail black", which are black tail feathers edged in white, as opposed to the barred tail feathers of the males. Young Dellie pullets can have a few barred ones as well, but the males just don't have tail black like the pullets unless you have some of the inferior hatchery stock that veers toward the Columbian Rock look from years of outcrossing they did way back when.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Teeter ended up being a pullet and now she is laying eggs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom