Is my chicken a rooster??

outlawd

Hatching
May 16, 2015
Hi everyone my name is Johnny. I got 3 chicks back in September. Two are laying eggs regularly but I don't think I haven't got any from my brown chicken. Is it a rooster? Please help me out.

That's a female partridge color. No male saddle feathers. It's a girl. Looks like a Welsummer. They lay dark brown eggs. Looks like you also have a cuckoo Marans. They lay dark brown eggs, too. Your buff Orpington should lay a medium brown egg. With only three hens, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who lays which egg. You might try a little food coloring on their vents. Blue for one hen, green for another, no food coloring for the third. In a couple days you will know for sure which egg belongs to which hen.

That's a female partridge color. No male saddle feathers. It's a girl. Looks like a Welsummer. They lay dark brown eggs. Looks like you also have a cuckoo Marans. They lay dark brown eggs, too. Your buff Orpington should lay a medium brown egg. With only three hens, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who lays which egg. You might try a little food coloring on their vents. Blue for one hen, green for another, no food coloring for the third. In a couple days you will know for sure which egg belongs to which hen.

Thank you for the reply! Well that makes me happy. The yellow one lays light brown eggs the black one lays dark brown eggs. But I'm 99% sure the brown one hasn't laid any yet. The yellow one has been brooding too the past 2-3 weeks and can't break her of it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
You should put her in a crate suspended off the ground. The idea is cool air on their stomach gets them to give up broodiness. You could also use a frozen blue ice pack they sell for picnics and such. Wrap a towel over it and use that as the floor of the crate. That will cool her fast and should change her mind.

Acutally you only need colored food coloring on the one you feel has never laid an egg. If you find it on a egg, you'll know she isn't a slacker.

For a couple days. Then let her out. If she heads right back onto the nest, put her back for another couple days. Repeat until she no longer spends her time on the nest or until she lays an egg. Broodies don't lay eggs after the first week or so of being broody.

Back
Top Bottom