Is my chicken constipated? What’s wrong with her?

This happened rather quickly. I inspect my chickens everyday. I went out the next day and saw a chicken having trouble walking, almost squatting. I immediately brought her to my isolation area where I treat sick chickens, before she became the target of the bullies.

I think it’s constipation because she isn’t eating much, is drinking a little, and hasn’t pooped. She has yellow stuff stuck near her vent (yes I’m about to clean it), her abdomen feels firm between her legs but not hard like an egg (not egg bound), and she “pooped” once or twice and it was just yellow liquid. So what should I do and how do I diagnose it properly and begin treatment? Pictures provided below, please ask questions and I will answer. Yesterday I took her to the front flower bed to get some fresh air and some space and she was walking around and being curious, just looking like she’s got a anchor stopping her up :lol: so atleast that’s a good sign. Walking around, I mean. She’s very talkative, as well.
Today she’s just chilling in the isolation area. She has food and water if needed, and it’s warm. I plan on taking her out again and washing her up if needed.

Attachments

• 359A7E94-0564-4574-8EAD-FE5151F33695.jpeg
    359A7E94-0564-4574-8EAD-FE5151F33695.jpeg
    700.5 KB · Views: 19
  • A573E82E-BB79-45A7-89D4-045FC90E6E90.jpeg
    A573E82E-BB79-45A7-89D4-045FC90E6E90.jpeg
    725.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 10084157-4463-4FA1-94E6-99A422A1CA70.jpeg
    10084157-4463-4FA1-94E6-99A422A1CA70.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 14
When is the last time she laid an egg?

It may be worth feeling inside the vent 1-2" for an egg. I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Encourage her to drink, hydration is very important. While you are cleaning her up, look for any lice/mites.

She may behaving some reproductive issues, it can be hard to know.

When is the last time she laid an egg?

It may be worth feeling inside the vent 1-2" for an egg. I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Encourage her to drink, hydration is very important. While you are cleaning her up, look for any lice/mites.

She may behaving some reproductive issues, it can be hard to know.
No lice or mites that I could see, I checked her feathers and skin very well. I’ve never really had issues there.

my chickens are almost 3 years old.The breed I have slows down at around 2. I have 6 chickens and get between 0-3 eggs a day, rarely 4. She doesn’t really eat, so their isn’t much crop wise. However she is drinking a little water occasionally. How do I check in her vent? I tried yesterday to explore and sort of get prepared but I couldn’t quite figure out... I guess I just get some water based lube and a glove and stick my finger in slowly and feel around...?:confused:

No lice or mites that I could see, I checked her feathers and skin very well. I’ve never really had issues there.

my chickens are almost 3 years old.The breed I have slows down at around 2. I have 6 chickens and get between 0-3 eggs a day, rarely 4. She doesn’t really eat, so their isn’t much crop wise. However she is drinking a little water occasionally. How do I check in her vent? I tried yesterday to explore and sort of get prepared but I couldn’t quite figure out... I guess I just get some water based lube and a glove and stick my finger in slowly and feel around...?:confused:
Yes. That's what you would do. Only feel about 1-2" in.

You may be able to entice her with a bit of wet feed. I would still check her crop in the morning and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid too.

She doesn’t really eat, so their isn’t much crop wise. However she is drinking a little water occasionally.
Why is she not eating?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Knowing more about your flock and their housing might help here.
As well as knowing where you are located geographically.

When I have a bird that is acting off...
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Yes. That's what you would do. Only feel about 1-2" in.

You may be able to entice her with a bit of wet feed. I would still check her crop in the morning and feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid too.
Alright, I already felt between her legs near her abdomen and it felt firm but still soft (not like an egg), but slightly sandy/squishy, it’s hard to explain. I’m not sure what to do... I’ll see about picking up some lube first thing tomorrow morning, tonight I was waiting to figure out what to do.

Why is she not eating?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Knowing more about your flock and their housing might help here.
As well as knowing where you are located geographically.

When I have a bird that is acting off...
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
She’s probably not eating because she can’t get anything out like everyone has said on other links. Same thing usually happens with a broken egg from what I read. They get layena layer pellets with choice granite and crushed oyster shell. I occasionally toss out a SMALL bit of either scratch grain or black oil sunflower seed. The BOS has helped with their molts and has helped with egg production, believe it or not. That kick of minerals and protein does it! In the run, they have a 5 gal feeder that hangs under the run so it stays dry. Again, layena pellets. She has a small hanging feeder I specifically bought for sick chickies. Hangs on the side wall of the box. I’m in eastern North Carolina, Atlantic beach area. Big area and wide geographical zone with similar temperatures so I’m not worried about “location privacy” on here. It dips in the lows of 40’s and mid 30’s, rarely freezing temps. It’s basically the coldest you’ll get of subtropical, I can grow stuff all year round. I love it. Humidity in the cold is about 50-70%, in the summer it’s about 60-90%. The coop is a large, well protected, wind blocking building. Good clean bedding, and good perching space. (Not using metal poles as they get the chickens feet cold, last year it never hit me about the cold metal and I feel so guilty and awful about that :hit) okay now the dog crate, excuse me, is freaking genius. That’s going to be my go to from now on!!!!! I’m going to try and find one ASAP. I think that would be good to raise small amounts of chicks in as well so the flock is seeing them so it will be easier to integrate. I don’t know what to do as of right now.... I guess just inspect her vent..

Back
Top Bottom