is my chicken depressed or close to dying or sick?

Annie_P

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
I had two fayoumi chicken which were best friends. They would not leave each other more than 2 meters apart. Then suddenly, one of the chicken passed away, hiding in the bushes. She had stopped laying eggs for about a week and her comb turned pale.. I buried her in my garden. The other chicken was lively for about 2 weeks and then she won't leave her coop. She stays in there, she looks very small and goes out in the enclosure to have some food. She does not lay since 2-1/2 weeks now. I need to mention that we have a dog since 3 weeks now, but the interaction was fine. The dog might have chased her once or twice, generating some stress for sure, but we now keep them separate. I am wondering if I should get a couple of chickens to cheer her up and keep her company. We have a big backyard and an introduction would be possible to do. I am worried my chicken will die if she goes deeper in depression...

It sounds like your chickens caught an infectious disease, I wouldn’t introduce any new birds until you’ve had the remaining hen seen and tested by a vet to figure out the cause and treat her for whatever’s wrong or you’ll end up seeing the new chickens get sick too.

Could she be broody and just staying there, sitting on nothing? Looks that this might be an option...

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. She's in the coop (nest) 99% of the time. I tried something today and got her out the coop and blocked the door.. She's now in a corner, flattened up and with a low tail.. no sound except when I come too close (it's a breed that is quite wild). She does not eat much. I'm worried.

Back
Top Bottom