Is my chicken lonely?

Well, thank you all for your advice. I'm hearing loud and clear that she probably is lonely and I should get more chickens. We're using our neighbour's empty coop and plan to build our own in the spring, at which time we planned to get a bunch (4 or 5) of chickens. I would love to get that Chantecler rooster that the neighbour offered but was really worried that she'd beat him up (or worse, he'd beat her up!). Maybe I could keep him in the dog kennel till they're used to being around each other...

I've known someone who successfully kept just one bird, but that was from the beginning. i think she's definitely missing her companion chicken.

Like the others said, you can try introducing more than one and introducing slowly. It sounds like it probably shouldn't be a juvenile chicken though since she's a tough-bird.
wink.png

I had the same situation a little over a month ago. One died, and the survivor just seemed really off.

I got her a couple 13-week-old friends. It was a rough adjustment as they established the new order (mostly for me, because I was worried sick and hated seeing Chickpea turn into a bullying brute), but they've worked it all out and are now a happy little flock.

I'm not sorry I did it at all, though the first couple weeks were rough. Chickpea's much happier and much more active, and she's got people to talk to now.

it is called a "pecking order" for a reason... you need to give them PLENTY of space.. and LET them peck it out (to a point of course)
i personally would get 4 hens and a rooster toss them all together with plenty of space to get away from each other.. let them "sort it out" and in a few days you will have a happy flock again..
even if you try the whole CAGE thing,, once the cage is gone they will "peck" it out for top spot..

make sure the fence is fixed so it doesnt happen again..

Thanks for the words of wisdom. We are going to get a rooster soon, and if I can talk my hubby into a few more birds, I'll get some chickens too... I think my chicken's loneliness will make her appreciate company, even if she does have to deal with that pecking order thing.

And just to clarify, Sandypaws, it wasn't a hole in the fence, it was letting them free range in my yard all day. Usually the German shepherd across the road keeps the predators away, but I think this may have been a bird that picked off my Punkin...

I have had trouble integrating birds in the past. I had a lot of blood drawn and it stressed them out. You need to watch for that. I used the cage as a way of intro and it worked well. They got use to seeing one another. When the cage was removed they did peck it out, but in a way that did not stree them out. Yes they do "peck it out" but it does not always work out. Some just dont work out.

There should be more girls in Balfour . . . chicken or otherwise, it is in such a beautiful part of the world.

My brother would lean short pieces of plywood against the interior walls of his coop when introducing new birds. The narrow area behind the boards was just wide enuf for one chicken. This would keep them out of sight of the others for awhile and allow things to cool down.

The boards provide something of a self-regulating safe environment. There should be a "penalty box" for the bad actors too but . . . .
idunno.gif

Steve

digitS' :

There should be more girls in Balfour . . . chicken or otherwise, it is in such a beautiful part of the world.

My brother would lean short pieces of plywood against the interior walls of his coop when introducing new birds. The narrow area behind the boards was just wide enuf for one chicken. This would keep them out of sight of the others for awhile and allow things to cool down.

The boards provide something of a self-regulating safe environment. There should be a "penalty box" for the bad actors too but . . . .
idunno.gif

Steve

Thats always a good idea. Especially when the new chicks are smaller than the others. It gives them a place to go and get away from danger. Sometimes you can provide feed behind there for any of the flock that gets pushed out from the main feeder.​

Oh no, they really arnt. I am just cautious. I really love them and would not want any of them to get hurt. They do establish their order and then get along famously. You will be fine. Obviously you care about your girl or you would not have asked about her well being.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom