Is my chicken lonely?

Uht oh, looks like you need more hens!
hehehe
th.gif

I went down to the coop to see how they were doing tonight and all seems well... although there is no snuggling going on! My girl is in her box (she sleeps there every night, probably because it's warmer). I'm hoping that the two boys don't love her to death, but they were going to be axed tonight and I couldn't let that happen... I had to save them! Time will tell, but they don't appear to be fighting at all...

14990_first_night.jpg

Quote:
He's a dark, beautiful brown... they are gorgeous chickens and I'm so excited to learn more about being a chicken owner. I sure hate the thought that I may have made a mistake in getting two males, but I know if it was, I can add more hens and even things out.

I'm new to chickens, but isn't a 2:1 rooster:hen ratio going to be too much for her? I thought I read something about a rooster needing 3-4 hens each otherwise the roosters will ....erm.... how to phrase this... mount them too much.

Now that Balfour Girl is on the slippery slope of thinking about getting more hens to balance out the flock . . . we need to get her thinking about where to move the nest boxes
wink.png

Placed at the highest point of the roost means birds sleeping in there all night and Balfour Girl spending a lot of time cleaning poop out of the nests. Meanwhile, all those hens will be looking for some place cleaner to lay their eggs
roll.png

Very good looking roosters . . .
smile.png

Steve

I am a poop cleaning machine! It's actually our neighbour's coop and we're going to build our own in the spring. My hubby is a farm boy from way back and knows that the nesting boxes are all wrong. We'd also planned to get our own flock in the spring, to go in their new home in our yard... but I couldn't leave my only chicken alone all winter...

And thank all of you for your advice and interest in helping me figure out how to be a responsible, loving Mom to my chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom