Is my chicken sick?

SilkieMomPoof

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2013
My Silkie hen has been panting a lot, and no longer likes eating mealworms? She gets excited and kills them, but then just leaves them and shakes her head at them. I still see her eating seeds and other feed so it's not like she isn't eating at all. She's not sneezing, but her cluck does sound a little strained perhaps? She just seems distressed in general. Any clue what might be going on? I'm concerned she may have some sort of respiratory illness.

Her crop feels rather hard, but she's free-range so it's hard to find and distinguish her poops.

You can check her crop first thing at daylight, and then look under her roost for her droppings. Her crop should normally be mostly empty by morning if it is working properly.

How hot is it at your location? It could be heat stress.
One of cockerels was like this, I gave him Vitamins, and Electrolytes today, & it perked him up.

It was rather hot today inside our coop, even with a fan pulling air through the coop. Chickens will pant and hold wings away from the body if they are overheated.
It topped 95°F, or more in our area today, & yesterday. My birds don't like the hot weather, neither do I.

Back
Top Bottom