Is my "cockerel" actually a pullet in disguise?

I guess it's a little hard for me to explain merely through descriptions and pictures, but I'm around "him" every day, and what I'm seeing is definitely unusual.
smile.png
The older this bird gets, the less physically and mentally cockerel-ish it becomes. It's shed all those sickle feathers since, leaving behind a short, rounded tail, never grew in any pointed plumage (only noticeably round feathers have come in more recently), acts like one of the pullets, and only rarely emits a hilariously weak, shaky crow. Another oddity - the other roos (most of which are gone now) morphed into flighty, aloof, unfriendly creatures by 5-6 months, but Barracuda is still extremely personable and chatty. So you're absolutely sure this is a cockerel?
hu.gif

~Alex

Last edited:
From that picture, yes I'm sure it's male. Is it a "normal" male? Apparently not. But developmental delay doesn't negate gender. Humans with developmental delays often don't mature the same way other humans do, but they're still definitely male or female. Same thing here.

From that picture, yes I'm sure it's male. Is it a "normal" male? Apparently not. But developmental delay doesn't negate gender. Humans with developmental delays often don't mature the same way other humans do, but they're still definitely male or female. Same thing here.
Okay, that makes sense. But at what point should "he" quit acting and looking like a pullet, if ever? I'm confused as to why "Cooties" (as we call it
lol.png
) shed nearly all those sickle feathers a couple months ago.

(pictures taken yesterday)
~Alex

Last edited:
I agree with Donrae. He might not be developing normally but he's definitely male. I have a Dominique cockerel who didn't begin crowing until he was close to 8 months old and even now after a couple of months of mating experience, he's still incredibly docile and will come up to people and wait for his neck, chest, wattle rubs and seems to really enjoy it. He also stands to be picked up without any fuss whatsoever, even by my children. He never went through the spastic teenage phase. He may change over time but so far, he's great with people, gentle with the hens and though I thought something must be wrong with him for a while because of his very "un-cockerel-like" behavior and maybe this would mean he's infertile, he isn't. My boy also shed his sickle feathers (or one of the hens pulled them out) and I'm still waiting for them to grow out. For now, he has a tail shorter than Barracuda's with just a few long, wispy feathers.

Either way, Barracuda is adorable.

Well, just to give a quick update after some time passed, the consensus is that Cooties is indeed a hen. :) A very unusual one, at that. :lol: She no longer crows, and grew in female plumage. Still just as in love with her as I was! :love
View attachment 1264333 View attachment 1264334
~Alex
Interesting. Make sure to do a necropsy when that one dies; I bet it'd be most unusual.

By the way, :hugs. I haven't seen you here in ages.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom