Is my cold contagious to my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maizy'smom, Sep 27, 2011.

1. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Yes, I am new. Yes, I have a monster of a cold. Yes, there's more snot in my head than brains, so please, bear with me......

Am I contagious to my girls? If people can get Bird Flu, can chickens get People Colds? It may be the Day-quil talking, but I've begun to worry that I may pass this along to them.

Any clue? Thanks, and pass the tissues, please.

mm

2. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I am in the same condition and wondering the same thing! get well soon!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    No.

4. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:Thank you! Hope you feel better soon, too. This came on with a vengence Saturday, so I'm hoping that today is the worst of it, and tomorrow I'll be over the hump and starting to improve.
    Be well.

mm

5. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    If they do, just make them some "people-noodle soup" and they will feel much better! [​IMG]

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:I agree with Wynette: Yet, I know this; if you work in one of the local Poultry Barns (1 million eggs a day) and show up with a cold you'll be sent home in a skinny minute. If you walk in the barn with a cold: You'll be fired! So, the commerical fellows don't agree with us and their the ones making the money off this stuff.

7. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:I agree with Wynette: Yet, I know this; if you work in one of the local Poultry Barns (1 million eggs a day) and show up with a cold you'll be sent home in a skinny minute. If you walk in the barn with a cold: You'll be fired! So, the commerical fellows don't agree with us and their the ones making the money off this stuff.

Wow. That says a lot. No more kissing chickens till I'm better, I guess. Thanks!

mm

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    maizy'smom :

Wow. That says a lot. No more kissing chickens till I'm better, I guess. Thanks!

mm​

I truly think I passed a cold to my chickens once. Really. Germs can spread to animals too, I would think. Why not?[​IMG] I'm not scientist, but I do believe it can happen.

9. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:If laughter is the best medicine, consider me dosed! Thanks!

10. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    I know I was warned not to get too close to my parrot when I had a cold. I think you can pass respiratory stuff. I'm no vet tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by