Is my coop contaminated?

lamd

Hatching
Jan 5, 2017
I've had hens for the last five years with no issues other than the occasional predator. Last summer I found a poultry shop near me that offered started pullets. I purchased several only to fine them dying off. They seemed to have a respiratory illness (coughing, sneezing, hoarseness). They illness spread to the established flock and by winter I was left with only five of the new birds. I got rid of them and the coop has been empty since. I would like to start over with chicks, but am concerned that he illness may still be present in the coop and run. Can anybody tell me if that is likely? Would scrubbing the coop with bleach do the trick? What about the surrounding area/run? I appreciate any help!

I've had hens for the last five years with no issues other than the occasional predator. Last summer I found a poultry shop near me that offered started pullets. I purchased several only to fine them dying off. They seemed to have a respiratory illness (coughing, sneezing, hoarseness). They illness spread to the established flock and by winter I was left with only five of the new birds. I got rid of them and the coop has been empty since. I would like to start over with chicks, but am concerned that he illness may still be present in the coop and run. Can anybody tell me if that is likely? Would scrubbing the coop with bleach do the trick? What about the surrounding area/run? I appreciate any help!
It sure couldn't hurt. I would bleach the snot outa it.

Good luck

Gary

If you didn't get a necropsy and lab work for those that died, there is no way to know if the building still has a problem
Some diseases only live off the bird for a few days. Some take years to disappear.
Since you don't know what the disease was, I'd scrub it down with a bleach solution and try it out.
Make sure the ventilation is adequate for future birds. Lots of respiratory problems can come from inadequate ventilation.

Don't use bleach it's bad for the birds. Look into oxine animal health . Great disinfectant. Anti viral, anti fungal and anti molds. Also it is approved for use around food. You can fog or spray down the areas affected

Don't use bleach it's bad for the birds. Look into oxine animal health . Great disinfectant. Anti viral, anti fungal and anti molds. Also it is approved for use around food. You can fog or spray down the areas affected
Welcome to BYC neighbor, well so cal neighbor that is.

I am sure your answer beats my bleach the snot outa it reply, but I figured no birds now so it would break down soon enough!

Gary

Thank you all for your help! asegall1129, I will get the oxine. Thanks again

Welcome to BYC neighbor, well so cal neighbor that is.

I am sure your answer beats my bleach the snot outa it reply, but I figured no birds now so it would break down soon enough!

Gary
I was thinking the same thing. It depends on how quickly one needs the building.

Yes. Sorry recently found this product. The more I read about it the more I like.
That was a good suggestion. I should order some.

Back
Top Bottom