Is my coop/run big enough for 3?

Madhouse Pullet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
My husband built our coop 3.5x7ft, that still needs some work before it's completed (a roof over the run, it needs to be raised, places for them to perch).
20200923_122517.jpg

20200923_122540.jpg

I currently have 3 pullets that free range half the backyard during the day. With cooler months and weather just around the corner, I am wondering if it would be enough space for them to stay inside the run?

Attachments

• 20200702_202808_original.jpg
    20200702_202808_original.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 10
It may become a bit tight. Have a plan B in mind (pen expansion) if behavioral issues develop. Things to look for might include: fighting, feather pecking/plucking, egg eating, increased noise, etc.
Thank you. Going to start thinking of that plan B, possibly C.
If that whole enclosure is 3.5 x 7, the actual coop looks to be 3.5 x 3?
Pretty tight space for 3 full grown large fowl birds.
Are there any vents/windows in the coop?
There are two vents, one in front and one in back.

California is a big state. What kind of winter weather are you expecting? Mainly interested in how much snow you will get but minimum temps could be helpful.

Do you consider that run predator-safe? If you are comfortable leaving that pop door open day and night and you don't have weather where they will be trapped in that coop I don't see any bad space issues as far as behaviors. People tend to think of coop space or run space. Chickens don't. If space is available they don't care where it is. If they are going to be trapped in that little coop for days by snow or something else, yes the coop is too small.

I see you are feeding underneath the coop. Good, you don't have to worry about them pooping in the feed from the roost. I don't see where the waterer is located. You don't want them pooping in that either. If both of those are out of the coop that gives them more clear floor space to land when they come off the roosts. They tend to spread their wings and fly down from the roosts. The higher the roosts the more clear space they need. I don't know where the nests are either. The roosts need to be higher than the nests, you don't want them banging into the nests when flying down either.

I always like more room, it makes life easier for you and helps them too. As long as they have access to the run as well as the coop from a pure space concept they can get by with less. Yours are all pullets the same age so you don't have integration issues. But a really small coop like that just doesn't give you much room to put anything. To me coop layout is the hard part.

I agree with Sourland. It's always good to have a Plan B ready, even if you had more room. You just never know when you will need it.

I agree that it might be tight if they aren't allowed out during the day to roam. Hanging food and water will be more space efficient and cleaner. Are you in North or Southern Cali, snow or just cooler days and nights?
I have two gals and my coop is 4x7 but similar to yours in design. I'm in Florida though, and mine free range during the day and coop it only at night .

They free-range during the day but I started thinking about the possibility of rain in the upcoming months and figured it was time to think realistically whether they'd be OK confined to that space.
This is evidence that chicken math can cause trouble 🤣 I started with 7; 2 passe; gave 2 to my mom; now 3.

I appreciate all the responses. Definitely helps in making a solid decision.

I agree that it might be tight if they aren't allowed out during the day to roam. Hanging food and water will be more space efficient and cleaner. Are you in North or Southern Cali, snow or just cooler days and nights?
I have two gals and my coop is 4x7 but similar to yours in design. I'm in Florida though, and mine free range during the day and coop it only at night .
Central California and never snows.

Central California and never snows.

They'd really be fine (and happier) if you can continue your current free ranging schedule. Don't worry about rain, they can take shelter in the run as needed, but that should be left up to them. Even with our pouring rain most of my birds opt to stay out in the unroofed run no matter the weather, but find shelter under various objects.

Things may get very ugly if they're forced to remain in that set up for the entirety of winter...

Back
Top Bottom