Is my coop suitable for winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peachesbabychick, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! Since winter is coming, I am just worrying that my babies will be warm enough. My coop is not heated. I do not put hay on their roost, so it just has wire netting and then a box below to catch poo. The coop is insulated. I put a good layer of chips down on the floor for them. Is there anything else I could do? Do you think they will be alright? Thanks.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    where do you live?
    How may chickens do you have?
    What are their ages?

3. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Depends on where you live - how cold does it get? is the ambient humidity high or low? lots of snow/wind? good ventilation in the coop? What breeds do you have (are they cold hardy or not?)

I'm of the opinion that if you're in a more moderate climate, it's best to let them acclimate as much as possible so that they aren't set up for illness or frostbite from a coldsnap. I'm in a climate where winter isn't THAT cold and it's very dry, but we do usually get at least a week or two of sub-zero temps. I'll supplement heat at those times with a heat lamp. But just arbitrarily providing extra heat doesn't allow them to acclimate and leaves them more vulnerable.

4. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Without seeing the coop it's hard to say; also, where are you? How cold are your winters? I live in Tennessee and we don't get terribly cold; no heat in my coop. I do add some extra wind resistance( tarps) over alot of the openings. Last year everyone was fine. I also have deep pile in the coops that have dirt floors and in the main coop building so I get some heating value from mother earth. Chickens have been raised since before there was electricity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by