Is my dog part pitbull?

I agree with what everyone is saying. Breed does not determine personality. I'm a vet tech and in all the years I've been doing this, I have had more bad experiences with little dogs like chihuahuas and doxies than I have had with and large breed, pit or otherwise.

We want to adopt a Labrador mix from the shelter. Every single apartment we looked at asked, "lab mix, what?" I replied, "I don't know. It's just a lab mix." They asked to see a photo and said, "It's a pit bull mix". We replied that we were not sure, but the face does look like a blonde pit while the body a lab. It is the kindest ,most gentle dog in the world and was abandoned on the streets. We snuck the dog into our apartment, then started looking for an apartment which would take the dog. Every single apartment manager said, "No. " We argued, "but it's a mix, not a pure pit bull.". No one will rent to us. One place even went so far as to tell us we had to go pay $100 for a DNA test. So now the dog is boarded out to a vet during the week and one day a week we sneak it into the apartment. We feel very sad for the dog. It's smart and plays with other dogs in the dog park. We are so upset and frustrated. Anyone have any ideas what we can do other than to turn him back into the shelter where he faces execution as the shelter is filled with pit bulls. So sad.
Would appreciate any suggestions to solve the problem.

Make up a bill of sale "from breeder" naming him as part lab,part boxer. Or shop around for a cheaper dna test.

We want to adopt a Labrador mix from the shelter. Every single apartment we looked at asked, "lab mix, what?" I replied, "I don't know. It's just a lab mix." They asked to see a photo and said, "It's a pit bull mix".  We replied that we were not sure, but the face does look like a blonde pit while the body a lab. It is the kindest ,most gentle dog in the world and was abandoned on the streets. We snuck the dog into our apartment, then started looking for an apartment which would take the dog. Every single apartment manager said, "No. " We argued, "but it's a mix, not a pure pit bull.". No one will rent to us. One place even went so far as to tell us we had to go pay $100 for a DNA test. So now the dog is boarded out to a vet during the week and one day a week we sneak it into the apartment.  We feel very sad for the dog. It's smart and plays with other dogs in the dog park. We are so upset and frustrated. Anyone have any ideas what we can do other than to turn him back into the shelter where he faces execution as the shelter is filled with pit bulls.  So sad.
Would appreciate any suggestions to solve the problem.

90% of people cannot tell a pit bull from other bully, or none bully, breeds. You can try a DNA test kit, thought that's a bit shaky. Sometimes vets will run tests to help you figure out, but it's a bit costly. Good luck! Sorry your dog is being discriminated against.

Regards,
Leaf

What breed is this sweet girl?.....100% turtlebuster and Boudreaux pitbull, 36lbs at catch weight and the best all around dog in the world
she doesnt look like a pitbull the news would show you does she

What breed is this sweet girl?.....100% turtlebuster and Boudreaux pitbull, 36lbs at catch weight and the best all around dog in the world
she doesnt look like a pitbull the news would show you does she

What a beautiful pit! I am familiar with the breed(s) and would say that your girl is a prime example of the breed(s), not the heavily muscled dogs who probably have never seen any pit blood in their lines. Gorgeous dog. :)

Regards,
Leaf

One place even went so far as to tell us we had to go pay $100 for a DNA test. So now the dog is boarded out to a vet during the week and one day a week we sneak it into the apartment.

I have no idea what you are paying for boarding but that $100 DNA is probably a lot cheaper if that will allow you to bring it home...

**Edit and an important fact, a DNA test will not reveal if it's a 'pit-bull' as there is no true genetic profile for pit-bulls, it will only tell you if it has the DNA of other pure bred dogs that are commonly and generally used to create 'pit-bulls' chances are most landlords are ignorant to this and your dog would pass the test since the test will not say 'pit bull' even it it was a 'pit bull' it would list other dogs breeds like terriers, boxers and bulldogs...

Last edited:
Thanks leafblade! That picture was taken when we brought her home from the aspca. We drove over two hours for her to save her from the evil game warden that shoots on sight!! She is much more cut now...i need to figure out how to post a video of her attacking my then 1 year old with a barrage of kisses...she army crawls to her. Cutest thing ever seen.
Between her and our german shepherd we have the "agressive, not to be trusted with kids" breeds covered.
it is about how you treat and raise a dog with a 10 pound heart. They will do anything you ask at 110%

Back
Top Bottom