Is my Dominique a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DazeGoneBy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    ***video of baby bird on post #16 for your vote***

I posted about how fast they grow somewhere else, then mentioned that I was a little worried about this one, ClaraBell, which I'm afraid might be a Clarence Bill. Two folks chimed up, Sonew123 and Skilz; one said boy and one said girl. So, I am moving the photos here and asking all you knowledgeable people for your guess. I think he/she is about 7 weeks old now, so time will tell. But, with each day that passes we get more attached. We only have 3 chicks, and live where we cannot have a rooster - so to lose one would be hard.

Here's a head shot:
    [​IMG]

Full-body pics here. My cause for concern: no tail feathers, long neck pin feathers, wide comb, red comb, waddles, very affectionate to humans. All warning signs of a young boy.

sad

But, on the other hand, this breed is known for a rose-colored comb, and I've see hens in this breed with waddles. And the chicken lady (at a poultry farm) where we got him/her is very knowledgeable and gave us a "sex guarantee."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
  3. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    MetalSmitten, thanks so much for the link. I had done some google searches and read about the "shadow" on the leg and the head spot. But, my memory is terrible and EVERY SINGLE pic I have of her/him (I'll just change the name to CB for simplicity's sake), is from the back and side rather than the front and top. Grrr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Definitely a boy. He's very white. Females would be much darker. His comb is filling out too.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd guess cockerel by the very light coloration and stockiness of legs. My Dom girl had a hint of wattle and bit of pink to her comb at that age also but her legs were twigs compared to your chick and she was more like 50/50 on her barring.

6. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Oh no. I've changed my avatar in mourning...we'll put in a call to the chicken lady to see if she still has some from that age group and can do a swap with us. I feel so bad for CB. What a cushy life he has had, and now it will all change. <snif>

7. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    Looks like a roo to me too, lighter coloring and wattles coming in
    Don't see any saddle feathers yet, but I'm going with cockerel

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    That looks like a boy to me, the males are much lighter in their coloring than the females let me see about getting some pics of my doms on here for you. Give me a sec, u should have some at about 8 weeks and younger to compare.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Definitely a cockeral. Cute too, sorry you can't keep Clarence Bill.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% boy, sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by