Is my duck egg alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adroit14, Dec 16, 2015.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015

ill make sure to keep you posted

2. RoxysAnimals

RoxysAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2015
    California, USA

There might be an external pip in the morning, or he could fully unzip. Be warned- if you see a hole where he pipped, DO NOT help him. Leave him alone. If he rolls the egg over on top of the hole, you can roll it slowly back over. Most people make the mistake of helping the baby, and open the egg for them, which kills them. He only needs assistance if it has been 48 hours with an external pip. Leave him in the incubator until he is fully dry. If another baby is hatching, leave him in there. He needs another baby or he will be stressed and die. Remember, Ducklings and Chicks can live off of their yolk sacks for 3 days. He will be ok. Update me in the morning. Let's see these ducklings hatch!

3. RoxysAnimals

Oct 19, 2015
    California, USA
    And how many eggs did you set in total at the start? How many died?

4. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    No external pip yet. Im just hoping ot happens today. I also had a horrible dream that all of them died.

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] It was just a dream, it was just a dream...

6. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    also about the internal pip. I keep thinking of what I saw last night. It actually looked like it was trying to break in to the aircell. What day do you think they will hatch. I'm a mix of anxious and worried

7. RoxysAnimals

Oct 19, 2015
    California, USA

It's all right. As long as it's facing the right way, he will get out. Just let them run their course. They could start pipping today, tomorrow, or even the next day. If your temperature fluctuated at all, especially during the start, or was a little low, you will have a late hatch. It's alright. As long as they move, you're okay. Just wait. It's the hardest part, but that is what they naturally do. They start with an internal pip, and then external. They will slowly break it open by themselves. It's so, so hard to sit and wait. But you just have to.

8. adroit14

Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you. I needed this, it helped me so much. The temp did fluctuate a lot so that might be the cause. Cant wait

9. RoxysAnimals

Oct 19, 2015
    California, USA
    Yup. Just let em go. It is so hard though. Every 3 hours or so, press your ear to the incubator. If there is an internal pip, you may hear cheeping. External pip, much louder cheeping. Once it's loud, if you can't see the pip through the incubator lid, open it and roll each egg slowly over. Do this with all of them, even if you found 1 hole. Good Luck!

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by