May 9, 2020
Tampa, Florida
Hi, I have a muscovy female that is about a year old now. She seems to have had problems walking a few times, but we always just thought it was because she lost strength from sitting on her nest 24/7. She's trying to make a nest now, but she made 7 eggs. 2 I found crushed by the pool, 1 kicked out of the nest and there's only 4 left. I'm not sure who's eating them.

She seems to have stopped laying however. For about a week she has seemed very different. She stands in her nest all day, doesn't eat and can barely walk. Like she will walk then her legs will just fall behind her. She prefers to stand and not move (literally all she does is stand by our broody ducks and stare at them all day) Her caruncles have brown spots on them. We have a variety of ducks and none of them |not even the other muscovy| are having this issue.

I did some research and found that she might be eggbound, so I put her in a warm bath for a bit. She drank plenty of water and made a couple of tiny poops. Whenever she would stand up and try to flap her wings (the bathing dance) she would make a quiet honk sound and her legs would just go behind her. A couple of times after drinking water she would make a weird wheeze/sneeze/cough sound as if the water went down the wrong way.

She's been really weak too, usually when I go to her she runs away (but now she just falls) but also when I usually pick her up she kicks her legs like she's on a bike, she didn't do it this time. When I tried feeding her, she would hesitate to eat. I got her to take 2 bites like 30 min apart. But after that bite and couple of chews she will hold her mouth open as if it hurts. I looked in her mouth and there is nothing abnormal. Also she does not appear to be moulting. Right now she's sitting on the floor with me (well shes standing) cleaning her feathers and drying off.

ALSO I almost forgot to mention all her feathers got completely wet in the bath

Image 1: The brown spots on her caruncles

Image 2: The face she makes when she tries to eat

Attachments

• 20210422_194614.jpg
    20210422_194614.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210422_194817.jpg
    20210422_194817.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi, I have a muscovy female that is about a year old now. She seems to have had problems walking a few times, but we always just thought it was because she lost strength from sitting on her nest 24/7. She's trying to make a nest now, but she made 7 eggs. 2 I found crushed by the pool, 1 kicked out of the nest and there's only 4 left. I'm not sure who's eating them.

She seems to have stopped laying however. For about a week she has seemed very different. She stands in her nest all day, doesn't eat and can barely walk. Like she will walk then her legs will just fall behind her. She prefers to stand and not move (literally all she does is stand by our broody ducks and stare at them all day) Her caruncles have brown spots on them. We have a variety of ducks and none of them |not even the other muscovy| are having this issue.

I did some research and found that she might be eggbound, so I put her in a warm bath for a bit. She drank plenty of water and made a couple of tiny poops. Whenever she would stand up and try to flap her wings (the bathing dance) she would make a quiet honk sound and her legs would just go behind her. A couple of times after drinking water she would make a weird wheeze/sneeze/cough sound as if the water went down the wrong way.

She's been really weak too, usually when I go to her she runs away (but now she just falls) but also when I usually pick her up she kicks her legs like she's on a bike, she didn't do it this time. When I tried feeding her, she would hesitate to eat. I got her to take 2 bites like 30 min apart. But after that bite and couple of chews she will hold her mouth open as if it hurts. I looked in her mouth and there is nothing abnormal. Also she does not appear to be moulting. Right now she's sitting on the floor with me (well shes standing) cleaning her feathers and drying off.

ALSO I almost forgot to mention all her feathers got completely wet in the bath

Image 1: The brown spots on her caruncles

Image 2: The face she makes when she tries to eat
So sorry for your loss. What could've happened? My female muscovy duck is the same age as yours, maybe a bit younger and can't walk. She doesnt stand, but she can't walk.

So sorry for your loss. What could've happened? My female muscovy duck is the same age as yours, maybe a bit younger and can't walk. She doesnt stand, but she can't walk.
I have no idea. Muscovies always seem to have leg problems. My teen muscovy rouen was just limping yesterday with a swollen joint and recovered overnight. I don't understand what could be wrong. But with my muscovy, nothing was helping at all so we gave up and put her back outside. But the next day, sadly she was found in the pool, drowned. I know she was going to die anyways so at least it was quicker than it would have been💔 I wish I knew how to help. I just know the problem started (again) after she went broody. I heard there can be certain nutrient deficiencies tho, so maybe look up things you can include in their diet. Other than that I have no idea :( Is yours still eating?

Back
Top Bottom