Is my Duck in pain?

Gusflakes

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
Hey there,

My Little khaki Campbell duck seems to be limping. It’s been going on for 4 weeks now and I see no improvement. I checked to foot to see if anything was there but I saw nothing. She been lying down a lot more often especially when she’s out in the garden while the other ducks for on their way.

Do you have pictures? How old is she? What exactly is she doing since you said 'seems' to be limping?

Without more info, for the time being I would isolate her and keep a closer eye on her, as well as give her lots of water therapy (swim time!) to lessen any pressure on the leg.

Welcome to BYC, others with more experience will add their advice shortly.

Hey there,

My Little khaki Campbell duck seems to be limping. It’s been going on for 4 weeks now and I see no improvement. I checked to foot to see if anything was there but I saw nothing. She been lying down a lot more often especially when she’s out in the garden while the other ducks for on their way.
Can you post pictures of the leg and foot? Yes, if your bird is limping, it is most likely in pain, it really shouldn’t do it for any other reason. Is it swollen? Does it feel warmer than the other one? I’d say put your bird in a dog crate, to limit movement until we know for sure what is wrong. Ducks can sprain, strain, scrape, cut, bruise, break, slip tendons, and injure legs in all sorts of ways. We need more info to be sure. As stated above you can do water therapy too, make sure it’s deep water so they can’t touch or put pressure down on that leg. Hoping you little duckie heals! I’ll tag some people who can maybe help you better.

@Aunt Angus
@Quatie

Do you have pictures? How old is she? What exactly is she doing since you said 'seems' to be limping?

Without more info, for the time being I would isolate her and keep a closer eye on her, as well as give her lots of water therapy (swim time!) to lessen any pressure on the leg.

Welcome to BYC, others with more experience will add their advice shortly.
Hi there! She’s a little over two years. Sorry for the confusion, but I meant she IS limping. I tried taking her in the pool twice a day for 3 weeks and she’s still the same. Does water therapy take time?

Can you post pictures of the leg and foot? Yes, if your bird is limping, it is most likely in pain, it really shouldn’t do it for any other reason. Is it swollen? Does it feel warmer than the other one? I’d say put your bird in a dog crate, to limit movement until we know for sure what is wrong. Ducks can sprain, strain, scrape, cut, bruise, break, slip tendons, and injure legs in all sorts of ways. We need more info to be sure. As stated above you can do water therapy too, make sure it’s deep water so they can’t touch or put pressure down on that leg. Hoping you little duckie heals! I’ll tag some people who can maybe help you better.

@Aunt Angus
@Quatie

@Aunt Angus
@Quatie
Hi there. I’m still trying to figure out how to upload something but her heel I suppose is some sort of pale- pink color. It’s in her left foot.

Hi there. I’m still trying to figure out how to upload something but her heel I suppose is some sort of pale- pink color. It’s in her left foot.
and yeah I just recently got a deeper pool for them and put her in there since the previous one was a bit too short. Thanks again for the help! I very much appreciate it

@BelovedBirds
Has a duck with some pain and gives aspirin
I tagged her so she can help with dosing
I had one that was limping at the start of summer and I used a dog pen and boxed her off with access to her pool and feed / water. This way she didn’t have to walk far
I did it inside the pen so her mates could be near her
Only a few days of this and she was better
Mine I think was from the boys when mating
@Miss Lydia may have ideas as well on what type of injury it could be
Water therapy is really good with leg or hip issues as it take the weight off but allows them to move the leg around

Hey there,

hey! Have you checked the undersides of her feet for any bumps or cuts/scabs? Is she laying eggs? What feed is she on, are you supplementing niacin? Does her tummy feel normal to you- no visible swelling? Any heat or swelling of the leg? I would check her good leg too, putting more weight on her good leg could cause her foot to look sore.
My girl started limping last week, I didnt think much of it but it got worse. I crated her for a few days and tried aspirin at first which was okay, but not terribly effective. I did water therapy with her 3 times a day too (now just 2 times a day). I ended up taking her to the vet who confirmed it is a sprain and gave us some better pain meds and she's just had a slight limp since, definite improvement.

Could you take yours to a vet?
If you want to try some pain relief, if she's really having a hard time, you could try aspirin.
What breed is she? My girlie is an aylesbury cross, medium sized, so I gave her about 40mg aspirin tablets, ensure there is no caffeine or anything added in. You can just put the tablet (broken up if needed) into a small piece of fruit or treat, and offer the correct dose up to 4(?) times a day, if I remember correctly- @ruthhope ?

Best of luck to your duck!

hey! Have you checked the undersides of her feet for any bumps or cuts/scabs? Is she laying eggs? What feed is she on, are you supplementing niacin? Does her tummy feel normal to you- no visible swelling? Any heat or swelling of the leg? I would check her good leg too, putting more weight on her good leg could cause her foot to look sore.
My girl started limping last week, I didnt think much of it but it got worse. I crated her for a few days and tried aspirin at first which was okay, but not terribly effective. I did water therapy with her 3 times a day too (now just 2 times a day). I ended up taking her to the vet who confirmed it is a sprain and gave us some better pain meds and she's just had a slight limp since, definite improvement.

Could you take yours to a vet?
If you want to try some pain relief, if she's really having a hard time, you could try aspirin.
What breed is she? My girlie is an aylesbury cross, medium sized, so I gave her about 40mg aspirin tablets, ensure there is no caffeine or anything added in. You can just put the tablet (broken up if needed) into a small piece of fruit or treat, and offer the correct dose up to 4(?) times a day, if I remember correctly- @ruthhope ?

Best of luck to your duck!
A small to medium sized duck dose of aspirin is 40mg four times each day. Its easiest given as half a low dose aspirin -- these are 83mg or 83mg and half is close enough to 40mg! A larger duck for example an adult muscovy drake or a jumbo pekin can take a quarter of a 300mg tablet of aspirin three times each day.

Back
Top Bottom