Is my duck sad/ depressed ?

lunatik

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2022
I have a muscovy duck. Her name is Taiyo. She's 7 months old, almost 8. The other day I noticed that she was in a nest with eggs, meaning she was going to be a mom (for the first time.) I didn't know how many days she had her eggs but I remember that ducks don't sit till they done laying the eggs, so I took the eggs little by little till its not eggs, just because where I live it's a lot of predators and I didn't wanted her to suffer with them (I know it's her nature) but also I couldn't because around my area we are controlling the egg production because its already a lot of ducks in my area and we don't want ppl to complain about it.

After I took her eggs, the next day she was very sad. I understand what I did to her but it was for the best. It's been 3 days and she is still very sad. At least she eats and try to socialize even though she grew up being a lonely duck because I rescued her. Maybe I think she also feels lonely, she has been inside my house because I raise her in my house and on my patio , but during the day she stays in here and at night she goes and sleeps somewhere else. Please help me. I don't want her to be sad or depressed because of it, what do you guys recommend for me to do ?
I appreciate your time for reading thus, thank you and have a nice day.

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_192901_555.jpg
    IMG_20220703_192901_555.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 52
is she your only duck? she may be depressed and lonely, you should definitely get another duck
hello fatty and friends! she grew up alone, she's mostly from the outside and it's a lot of ducks but never had a connection with other duck, maybe she do feel lonely and more that I took her eggs away.
btw she has siblings but they don't recognize each other..

Would the eggs have even been fertile? I have had Muscovy since 2004. I can say Muscovy are the most broody ducks in the world I had 3 broody since April I’ve taken all eggs one finally gave up the other 2 are still laying on nothing. They come out 2-3 times a day but go right back inside on their nest. They know there are no eggs in their nests. Doesn’t seem to matter. Give your pretty girl some time those hormones don’t go away over night.

hello fatty and friends! she grew up alone, she's mostly from the outside and it's a lot of ducks but never had a connection with other duck, maybe she do feel lonely and more that I took her eggs away.
btw she has siblings but they don't recognize each other..
do you mean to say that she's wild/free? Did you raise/buy her?

Hello! i feel like she is sad in my opinion maybe it’s best if you rehome her or put in a shelter where she is monitored sorry if it sounds mean but it’s my honest opinion

Back
Top Bottom