Is my EE a rooster? She/he is about a month old, but could be a litttleee older O_O UPDATED~!~!

Thanks! If you dont mind, could you show me a picture example of what those red feathers look like?
Sure. Here are a bunch of 8 wk EE cockerels, all sexed by feather pattern and all proven to be boys, as they went to my meat pen so I kept them around until they were 18 weeks old or so. If you look, you'll see that all of them have "patchy" color patterns and red feathers coming in on the shoulders.

Here is a very common partridge color pattern that occurs in EE hens, and will be similar to your chick (as long as those dreaded red feathers don't come in). Mine is more gold and your chick is more red, but see how the pattern is all over her body, with no dark patches on the wings?

Sure. Here are a bunch of 8 wk EE cockerels, all sexed by feather pattern and all proven to be boys, as they went to my meat pen so I kept them around until they were 18 weeks old or so. If you look, you'll see that all of them have "patchy" color patterns and red feathers coming in on the shoulders.

Here is a very common partridge color pattern that occurs in EE hens, and will be similar to your chick (as long as those dreaded red feathers don't come in). Mine is more gold and your chick is more red, but see how the pattern is all over her body, with no dark patches on the wings?

Ohh so those random red feathers that grow around indicates theyre a rooster? nice nice :) thanks

Ohh so those random red feathers that grow around indicates theyre a rooster? nice nice :) thanks
Well, they do especially if they occur on the shoulders or are part of a patchy color pattern. I wouldn't doom a chick just for a few stray feathers, but if they are coming in underneath other feathers on the shoulders like in this photo, then it's a male.

LL

Also, do all EE roosters have this? I have a white rooster, and he doesnt have that red feathering
No, not all EEs will have this. It is very, very common, however, especially for birds that have multiple colors of feathers. Were the bird to be black and white, for instance, the male would most likely have white patches on the shoulders instead of red.

White birds wouldn't have the red feathers, black birds don't, blue birds don't, etc. Those colors are always tricky to sex. I have some black and blue Ameraucanas right now that I'm not sure of the sex of all but the most obvious ones.

What is common, no matter what the breed, is for the males to have a patchier color pattern. Look at photos of wheaten males vs. females, silver laced males vs. females, etc. The males have a solid color on the hackle feathers and shoulders and saddle feathers whereas the hen's color pattern will continue over her whole body, possibly with a different color in the hackle feathers.

Last edited:
...and don't be too quick to condemn as rooster if you get some secondary coloring on top of what you thought was a female pattern.
My now obviously female Wyandotte/EE started with the classic chipmonk EE pattern, changed to the classic EE female pattern, then got worrisome redder feathers around the shoulders on top of that pattern, then got more red in her pattern until now the red is just part of a lovely partridge pattern.

She changed color on me almost daily and kept me guessing. EE's can do that as they molt and grow in those adult feathers.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I have 5 Easter Eggers myself, and I'd say this is a pullet. Here is one of mine, I love her color pattern...

Back
Top Bottom