1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

??Is my goat going into labor??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bigwig, Mar 26, 2016.

1. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    LOL me too[​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I know this is Easter and you can't get a vet today. I don't think any of my goats EVER got sick during office hours. But if I were you, unless that goat is a LOT better tomorrow, contact the vet about getting some lutalyse and anything else necessary to induce labor. It really sounds like your doe has ketosis and the only real cure for ketosis is delivery of the kids. Also get some propylene glycol to treat the ketosis. You should be able to find some at the feed store. Molasses will help but the propylene glycol is much better. Also, when she starts to go into labor, keep an eye on her. As soon as she is fully dilated deliver the kids manually because in all probability she won't have the strength to push them out herself. As you probably know by now, ketosis is very, very serious. If you think I can help you, PM me.

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is your goat?

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Call your vet!

5. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    What does propylene glycol do? Their are no vets in my area that would come to the farm and their are no goat farmers nearby that could help so I'll probable have to treat her myself.

Thanks again for your help!!

6. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    She is doing a little better. I felt her side and I think the kids have moved back towards her abdomen a little.

Thanks for your help!

7. enola

Is she up? Eating and drinking normally? Pooping?

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Propylene glycol is a simple sugar. It is used for treating ketosis is cattle, sheep, and goats.

1 person likes this.
  9. enola

How is the goat today?

10. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by