Is my hatchling in trouble?

Update for those who are interested. She's fluffy, active, sitting up, trying to walk (but failing), drinking water with electrolytes, and chirping.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_233307750.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233307750.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220714_233258419.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233258419.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220714_233319537.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233319537.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 2
So adorable. do you have any poultry cell or Nutri drench for poultry? both are really good to have on hand for an extra boost with newly hatched ducklings. Also you will want to add some niacin to her diet. Nutritional yeast is a good one just sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you offer her.

Any more going to hatch?

So adorable. do you have any poultry cell or Nutri drench for poultry? both are really good to have on hand for an extra boost with newly hatched ducklings. Also you will want to add some niacin to her diet. Nutritional yeast is a good one just sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you offer her.

Any more going to hatch?
We have four more in the incubator. Fingers crossed. We have nutritional yeast. I'll look into getting the other items.

Hello again!

Advice please. Different duckling but same batch. First duckling is doing fantastic, btw!

We have three ducklings total now. The youngest two hatched at the same time, even though they were a couple days apart on our hatching calendar. Interestingly enough, the duckling that was supposed to be the youngest egg came out practically walking. It's yolk wasn't fully absorbed but it was a tiny yolk, and he's healthy and very active. We haven't had a problem with him. The other duckling that hatched the same time as him is the one I have a question about.

You can see in the picture that it's much smaller. We are on day three after hatching. It will eat and drink, it's attentive but barely makes a peep. It's muscles are super weak, and it's not growing out gaining weight like the other two are. The left leg drags behind. It scoots itself around with the right leg, but can't stand up like it's sibling, let alone walk. I've tried tucking the left leg under it repeatedly, helping it stand on both legs for strength exercises, but it just kicks it back out again. How can we help it gain muscle strength? What can we do for it? I'm concerned it'll never walk. We've had to remove it from the other two ducklings, because they peck at it, and walk all over it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_152802115.jpg
    PXL_20220718_152802115.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220718_152753361.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220718_152753361.MP.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 1
Water therapy is really good exercise as long as the navel is healed. Just start them off with just enough warm water to float and always supervise.
@3bird is having similar problems with a duckling that is older and might be able to share what they are doing to help theirs. Theirs has slipped tendon which could be what is going on with yours. Are you supplementing with any type of niacin which is very important for ducklings to have good leg strength? Feel down the back of this ducklings leg and compare both if it's a slipped tendon you maybe able to put it back where it is suppose to go. Liquid B complex is another good way to get niacin in them and it is the best we have to treat any niacin deficiency.

Water therapy is really good exercise as long as the navel is healed. Just start them off with just enough warm water to float and always supervise.
@3bird is having similar problems with a duckling that is older and might be able to share what they are doing to help theirs. Theirs has slipped tendon which could be what is going on with yours. Are you supplementing with any type of niacin which is very important for ducklings to have good leg strength? Feel down the back of this ducklings leg and compare both if it's a slipped tendon you maybe able to put it back where it is suppose to go. Liquid B complex is another good way to get niacin in them and it is the best we have to treat any niacin deficiency.
I agree with the advice of supplemental niacin (nutritional yeast added to feed) and the addition of Vitamin B Complex (usually tolerated with treats). As for the leg, it would be good to assess what's going on. The best advice I can offer is that acting quickly is key. They grow so quickly. I would consider the duckling cup approach at this stage maybe with a splint as well (splint the leg and suspend the duckling in a cup using a sock or vet wrap with leg and vent holes cut in it. There is some debate about whether the feet should be able to touch the ground. We're in the don't-let-the-duckling-weight-bear-at-first camp. Our duckling is older, but here's our thread about dealing with slipped tendons.

Back
Top Bottom