Is my hatchling in trouble?

livingwithjane

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Hello,
First time hatching our own ducks. I've read that hatching takes awhile, so I'm trying to be patient. The first duckling pipped externally almost two days ago. I read that it could take up to 48 hours. It still hasn't started zipping. It's breathing and moving it's bill frequently, with breaks I'm between.

My concern is that if you look at it's little upside down bill, it's horizontal. Shouldn't it be vertical if it's going to zip around the wide end of the egg?

When should I intercede and assist?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-162300.png
    Screenshot_20220712-162300.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
That is odd for sure. Since it's bill is through the external membrane it actually has started un-zipping, but if it's still chewing and yawning it got a little hasty with starting the process before the yolk was fully absorbed (also possible malposition). If it's been a full 48 hours then I would start by peeling a small piece of shell off, let it sit for another 2-3 hours then pull another piece off. After you remove a piece of shell take plain original Neosporin (you can also use Vaseline, coconut oil, olive oil etc) on a q tip and lightly coat any exposed membrane to keep it from sticking. If you see veins stop and wait for them to recede before pulling off any more shell. With it still chewing and yawning you want to remove the shell in small pieces allowing time in-between for the yolk time to finish absorbing.

That is odd for sure. Since it's bill is through the external membrane it actually has started un-zipping, but if it's still chewing and yawning it got a little hasty with starting the process before the yolk was fully absorbed (also possible malposition). If it's been a full 48 hours then I would start by peeling a small piece of shell off, let it sit for another 2-3 hours then pull another piece off. After you remove a piece of shell take plain original Neosporin (you can also use Vaseline, coconut oil, olive oil etc) on a q tip and lightly coat any exposed membrane to keep it from sticking. If you see veins stop and wait for them to recede before pulling off any more shell. With it still chewing and yawning you want to remove the shell in small pieces allowing time in-between for the yolk time to finish absorbing.
I agree with Hollow!

Update for those who are interested. She's fluffy, active, sitting up, trying to walk (but failing), drinking water with electrolytes, and chirping.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_233307750.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233307750.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220714_233258419.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233258419.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220714_233319537.jpg
    PXL_20220714_233319537.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 2
So adorable. do you have any poultry cell or Nutri drench for poultry? both are really good to have on hand for an extra boost with newly hatched ducklings. Also you will want to add some niacin to her diet. Nutritional yeast is a good one just sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you offer her.

Any more going to hatch?

I peeled back some shell back last night, and accidentally hit a blood vessel. I was so worried. Here's the state of things this morning. A lot of peeping and rocking around and pushing. How long should I let this go on?
I don't see any veins under the membrane so I would peel off the rest of that exposed membrane which should be enough for the duckling to come out.

Ok. So, I peeled off just a tiny bit of the membrane and the duckling immediately kicked itself out of the shell. I put it back in the incubator. It still has the shell and a bit of membrane/yoke attached to it's belly. It's chirping and moving and kicking. It's very lively. Will the extra yoke and membrane break loose like an umbilical cord? How long should the duckling stay in the incubator? It's siblings haven't even started hatching.
I can’t really see if there’s still yoke or just membrane from the pic but if you think there is still some the duckling should be set upright in a small cup or similar inside the incubator to finish absorbing the yoke safely. Once it’s finished absorbing the membrane will dry up and drop off on its own. Trying to remove could cause harm.

It kicked off the shell and membrane. It seems to be trying very hard to get it's feet on the ground. It's kicking a lot and chirping. It can't raise it's head. How long before it's able to sit up? When should we remove it from the incubator?
Thank you for your help.
It can take only a couple hours and sometimes much longer for them to get them on their feet. They hatch completely exhausted with no muscle development and assisted hatches often take much longer to gain their strength. All of my ducklings get Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell" diluted in their water once they get moved to the brooder, but if they are not mobile by 24 hours after hatch I give an undiluted dose daily until they are mobile.

Back
Top Bottom